22

Emily

I waited nervously with the laptop in my bed.

Would he judge me? Would be hang up? Would he still like me?

The FaceTime rang and I immediately clicked yes.

"Hey," I said.

I wanted to hug him so badly. Even in the small box, I looked disgusting. Terrifying.

I didn't look human.

"Hey, how have you been?"

"I've been better, can we just talk about you and school?" I mumbled, smiling slightly.

"Sure! Omg, Isla and Owen broke up because Isla kissed someone else at a party,"

"They were never gonna last,"

"I know! She kissed Joe," he snorted.

"Joe? As in... Joe who peed his pants last year?" I laughed. It was tragic really, but the teacher's fault for not letting him go to the toilet.

"Someone in your year wet themselves?" Michael said, a grin appearing on both our faces.

"Well, we've had plenty of drama here too,"

"Have you now?"

"Yep! Ashton's badge went missing and he said Calum had stolen it... it was in his bag," I joked, rolling my eyes.

"You know what, that beats everything that goes on at school. That right there is the worst I've heard,"

"Hey! It was a fair accusation, Calum's done it before," Ashton said, coming into the frame.

We both laughed but I was starting to get tired.

"Sorry, it's been a long week" I yawned, leaning into Ashton's side.

"It's ok, we can call again another day yeah?"

I nodded and smiled but then he was gone. Who knew when I'd speak to him again.

After Tom left, I felt even more miserable. The left side of my mouth was throbbing, and I was freezing.

"Ashton, I'm really cold," I mumbled, pulling the cover over my shoulders. He wrapped another blanket round my shoulders and hugged me tightly to his chest.

"Not that you guys aren't great, but I really wish I could see other people,"

"We know... you're edging into the hardest stage and once that's over, we promise you can see more people. It's just really important that you don't get sick," Calum said.

"But Tom could see me last time, why can I go home tomorrow but he can't come over? I feel so trapped," I said, my voice quivering.

"Sometimes we have to rank your health above your socialising babygirl, and right now, it's just too dangerous. It really does break our hearts too Emily, we will rethink next week yeah?" Michael said, patting my back gently.

I nodded and tried to pull away from Ashton's grip. His chest was pressing against my cheek and making it hurt even more.

"Is it really hurting you hun?"

I nodded and pulled my cover on tightly.

"Alright, I'll see when Luke can see you,"

There wasn't much to do while I waited. Calum and I took a quiet walk round the hospital and Michael let me watch Netflix on his phone.

I was beyond excited to go home and not come back to this place for two weeks. Two weeks of bliss.

My own, comfortable bed. Home cooked food. A big TV. A bath.

You don't appreciate it enough until it's taken away.

Everyone's attention turned to the door as it opened, Luke appearing.

"Hey you," Luke smiled, slowly crouching beside me, "your cheek is a little swollen,"

"Do you think you can walk with Luke?" Michael said, making me kind of annoyed. I got that I was sick, but I wasn't three years old.

"I'll be fine," I muttered, slipping off the bed. They'd let me shower and change earlier, so I was now in leggings and a hoodie. I put my trainers on and waited outside for Luke - Ashton was telling him something.

He came out, followed by the other three- who scattered in different directions-and held my hand.

"Please don't be angry with me," I whispered.

"I'm not angry with you Emily, I just need you to understand how important it is that you care for your teeth, and tell someone if you're struggling. It makes things harder for everyone else and could be very bad for your health,"

"I know, I will. It's hard to get into a routine again,"

"Did you ever have one? You and routines aren't really a good match," he laughed, holding the door open. The hospital was really busy so we had to go a different way.

"Yeah! I wanted to be trendy and have a proper routine... like, a tragic attempt at making myself look normal,"

"Just be yourself,"

"Then you get bullied,"

"True... I don't know why I gave you that advice," he laughed sadly, leading me into his office.

"You were bullied? But you're really smart and so calming to be around,"

"But it's not cool to be smart,"

"They won't be saying that when you help them, or if Ashton saves their life...people are so judgemental," I mumbled, rolling my eyes.

"I don't think about them, it's easier not to,"

"Where's Sierra?"

"It's the evening Emily, she's gone home," he chuckled, "come on, let's see what's up,"