18

Emily

I wasn't stupid. I've had the tests before . They thought I had Leukaemia.

They tried to hide it and it just frustrated me. It was my body, so why weren't they telling me?

As we climbed out the car, I prayed the front door was open.

"My body won't be able to fight the Leukaemia, will it? You're going to have to give me a ton more of the chemotherapy, and I'm gonna get really sick... stop trying to hide it from me," I said bitterly, feeling the tears prick my eyes.

Thankfully the door was open so I stormed in, heading to Luke's room. I slammed his door shut and felt the tears running down my face.

Suddenly I felt hot and flustered, so I put my hair up and climbed onto his bed.

"What's wrong? Breathe hun, breathe,"

"That's exactly what I can't do Luke! Everyone keeps telling me to breathe but it's like there's some invisible rope tied round my lungs, and it's slowly suffocating me. Everyone is just telling me breathe and it's the one thing I can't do! No one cares how you're feeling as long as you're breathing," I shouted, hugging his body tightly.

It hung in the air. Thick like a blanket.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Take a moment to clear your head, have a drink and then I will be willing to talk to you,"

He handed me a glass of water and I desperately drank the whole thing. I still had no clue how he did it, but Luke managed to make me calm down. Every single time.

"Thankyou,"

"You're welcome, now what's up?" he said, setting the glass down and rubbing my back.

"They think I'm stupid. They refused to tell me what was wrong, but I worked it out because I've had he tests before. I'm not ready to go through this again, not after..."

"I know it feels like this is the end, but I've known you for eight years Emily. You never give up. You have all of us and Tom who will never leave you,"

I nodded and bundled myself up into the duvet. He let me rest my head on his chest and I held his hand, fiddling with his ring.

"Can we make a deal?" I asked, sighing deeply. He rubbed my back gently and mumbled in agreement.

"You can tell Ashton if you're worried about me, and if I bring it up, we can talk about this... but you're going to be the one person left in my life who isn't constantly asking about my health. Please Luke, please can you just treat me as Emily. Not Emily the girl who has cancer, not Emily the girl who needs help with everything... I just want to be Emily,"

"I always have and I always will sweetheart, me and you won't let your cancer change anything ay? If we work together, we can conquer the world," he said dramatically, making me laugh.

"Sorry, I must be in the wrong room. I didn't come to visit a motivational speaker,"

It was childish, and immature joking, but it made me laugh. It comforted me, like when I was younger.

"But you're here now, might as well stay,"

"The seating is rather comfy, let me just get a good view,"

I dropped my head onto his stomach, making him grunt and start chuckling.

"This motivational speaker didn't invite anyone to drop an elephant on top of him,"

"I'm not an elephant, I'm a hippo. Get it right please," I said, huffing and turning over.

"My mistake,"

"I guess it's hard to see through your lion mane of hair... you need a haircut,"

"I like my hair though,"

"And you're the only one,"

"Don't lie, I know you like my long hair. You just want all the curls I have,"

"And you want all my beauty but I guess we can't always get what we want,"

"Are you saying I'm ugly?"

"No but I'm prettier," I grinned, jumping as he wrapped his arms round me.

"Sorry,"

"It's ok," he laughed, "you're just very tired, and missing the old days ay? Why don't you have a nap while I talk to Calum?"

I whined and cuddled into him, not wanting him to leave.

"Come on, I'll be as quick as possible. If I'm not back in ten minutes shout me,"