24

3 months later
Ashton

We were supposed to be able to say that she was getting better.

But she wasn't.

Her condition was getting a lot worse, and there was no more treatment we could give her. Nothing.

We thought we'd have to give up, and let her slip through our fingers- that wouldn't happen.

After a lot of convincing, a hospital in America was willing to try their new treatment on her. Realistically, she was testing it for them, but I wasn't sure she was the best candidate.

You could see in everyone's faces, we didn't have hope.

With this deal, we wouldn't see her for a year.

It was a tough decision.

Calum and Michael sat opposite me, each of us in deep thought.

"We have to do it. Her whole body is giving up on us and there is nothing we can do. I just can't bring myself to let her go," Calum said quietly, making Michael nod in agreement.

"She isn't going to want to. She is going to protest and scream until we put her in that helicopter," he said.

"Dr. Irwin, he's here," a nurse said, letting him in.

The team leader, Dr.Styles, had flown over to help us. If Emily knew who was looking after her, then she'd hopefully be a lot more willing.

"Hey, how is it going?" he asked, sitting next to me.

"Not great, we are going to do it but she will not want to,"

"Well that's why I've come over, isn't it? I'm goimg be one of the few doctors she sees and I promise to take the best care of her,"

Knowing the hospital, and knowing the type of people who worked there, I was comfortable that she'd be treated nicely. He'd already made a nice impression, and the promise seemed like the truth.

"Thankyou... how do we tell her?" Calum said, shaking his hand.

"Honestly, we just need to be open about it,"

We all trailed back to her room, seeing her with Tom. He already knew. Losing her for a whole year had thrown him off. Even right now, as he ran his hand over her head, he was biting back tears.

Emily wasn't moving much lately and her body wasn't resting. It was tolerant to the treatment, so we needed to do this as soon as possible.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I asked, sitting down next to her. She shrugged and lazily moved her head to face me.

"Who's that?" she croaked, her eyes flicking her Harry. I was much less worried, just by the way he was looking at her. He was clearly concerned but he held a strong look in his eyes.

"I'm Harry, I've come from America... I know, the accent is English and it throws you off huh?"

She laughed a little, rubbing her eyes. Her face dropped as she tried to get comfy again, but she seemed relaxed enough.

"Why is he here?"

We all looked between us, deciding who was saying it, until Tom spoke up.

"You don't feel too great, and you haven't for a while have you?"

She shook her head and looked over at everyone.

"Are you going to help me?"

Harry nodded and smiled, pulling his chair closer.