Ashton

Ashton

I sat on the bed. Nerves were swallowing me whole as I looked at the letter.

What was inside? What had she written?

I carefully tore it open- I didn't want to ruin it. This was all I'd got.

Dear Ashton,

Wow, that was a hell of a journey. I am proud to say that you were with me the entire time. Points where I felt like giving up at any second and the points where I couldn't be happier.

You were always there for me.

When I was first diagnosed, I didn't fully understand. All I knew was that mum was very upset and that I'd be seeing you a lot more. That did make me happy.

If this hadn't happened, I would've followed your footsteps. Every single time I was in hospital, you kept me entertained with a smile on my face. There were times when I got so ill that not even mum could visit and it terrified me... but you were there.

You gave the best advice and taught me so much. When I was stressed we worked round it, you helped me understand how I was feeling as well as what to do about it... and I couldn't have asked for anything to go  differently.

Im a strange way, you were like a father figure to me. Especially when I was younger, you were always the strong male figure in my life. Of course, Ashton, I know you weren't always strong but to me you were better than every superhero out there.

You still are.

Once, you promised me that you'd never let me leave, but you've helped me realise that leaving is right. I'm in pain and you guys are in pain watching me. My 14 years on Earth couldn't have been better thanks to you.

Don't worry about not saving me, I wouldn't have wanted to be.

It hurts so much.

I don't feel like this letter truly lets you know what you meant to me, but I can't put it into words. Just know that I love you, I'm grateful for you and I want you to carry on. I need you to carry on.

Don't let my death stop your life.

I love you Ashton, the people around you are lucky they have you. You made me feel so special. You made me feel so loved. You made me feel powerful in the darkest times.

You are one fucking incredible human being.

Love from,
Emily xxx

I read the letter over and over, taking in every single word.

She never knew how lucky I was to have her in my life.