25

Emily

The next few weeks were focused on making me well enough to go to America. We called and talked to Liam, Louis and Niall- the other doctors- and I was standing again. Not for long, but it was enough.

I'd had to eat more food no matter how nauseous it made me. I had to stay awake and read or watch tv as much as I could. They took me round the hospital, did drawing, painted my nails- anything to keep me up and feel normal.

But I didn't even know what normal was anymore. It was just a word.

Today, I was leaving, and it felt right. I didn't want to go, but I knew I should.

Michael and Luke brought my luggage to the hospital, Calum and Ashton were checking things over with Harry, and Tom was sat with me.

"I'll always be ready to talk to you, or be on call and not say a thing, but if there's a day that you feel too sick or tired, don't. Don't force yourself to go out and do things while you feel drained,"

I nodded and played with his bracelet, making him pull something out his pocket. It was a similar bracelet to his, except it was dark blue. He slipped it on my wrist and tightened it, gently holding my hand after.

"I'm going to let you say your goodbyes to them separately, this is it,"

He stood up, helping me stand too.

"This isn't it, I'll see you again. You have other friends but don't forget about your best one,"

"Hmmm, who is that again?" he joked.

"Me... Tom, please don't forget me," I said seriously, wrapping my arms round him. These goodbyes would be harder than I thought.

"I'm not going to, stay safe for me Emily. Even if you feel totally alone, you're not because everyone in this room is there for you. You don't deserve any of this but you're so strong, and I admire you so much. I'll be waiting for you," he said, quickly wiping the tears that fell.

I hugged him one last time and he was gone. Thankfully, Ashton followed him out but...he was gone.

"We brought your things, there's plenty of our hoodies in there," Luke laughed, jumping at a knock on the door. Everyone crossed their eyebrows and Calum opened it; my brother stood there.

"I just heard, why- how- weren't you going to tell me?"

"Well it's not like you cared before, why would you care now," I answered bluntly.

"I don't... I just wanted to tell her I'm not paying for her funeral,"

"Well then it's a good job she won't be having one, leave before I have to get you escorted out," Harry said, standing up.

Luke pulled me into his chest while they got rid of my brother, making me sign in relief.

"I'm sorry about him," I mumbled.

"We don't even need to think about him anymore, he doesn't have anything good to say,"

Ashton came back, coming to my side. He must've seen my brother but he didn't say anything.

"We have to leave in ten minutes Emily," Harry said calmly, letting the boys come over to me.

"Michael, Calum... thankyou for getting me this far. You guys have never left my side and although I'm moody and fussy, you still support me. The next year without you, it's gonna be hard but when I come back, I know it will still be the same. I love you guys," I said, giving them both a long hug. Soppy speeches weren't ever my thing, but I had to say thankyou.

"It will go quicker than you think," Michael said.

Calum nodded and kissed my head, looking at me sadly.

"I love you too,"

I turned to Luke, holding his hand.

"Luke, all I know is that a smile will be ten times harder to keep over there. It doesn't matter how anxious I get, or how annoying I am, you're calming and patient which is all I could ask for. Ever since the first day I met you and I was terrified, you've supported me. I love you Luke,"

"You'll still be smiling, I know you will. I'm only one call away but remember there are four doctors who are just as supportive as me, I love you," he said, hugging me.

"I know how anxious you still get, Liam will do nothing different to me and I've told him everything. He is a great dentist," he whispered, kissing my cheek and smiling. I nodded and let go of his hand, taking a deep breath.

"Ashton, you've been cool I guess," I shrugged, making everyone laugh.

"I love you too Emily,"

I beckoned him over and he sat on the bed, pulling me into his side.

"You were given the task of telling me I had cancer three times. On top of that, you had to tell me my mum had it. That alone is why I respect you so much. You've never given up on me, you let me cry, shout, scream, laugh and smile with you, not judging me once. You've taken care of my family and friends so well, and I don't know how I will go a year without seeing you. You all have,"

"If... if I don't make it back, thankyou. You've all done everything you could've done and I couldn't have asked for any better people in my life. I love you guys,"

He hugged me tightly, rubbing my back.

"I didn't think twice about it. We are all going to miss you, but I know you'll come back. Everyone there knows how anxious you can get, and they are ready to talk whenever we can't. I respect you so much too and when you come back, we can eat pizza on the sofa and cry of happiness together," he laughed, kissing my head and letting go.

"We could go to that theme park, we can prove that a dentist's chair is so much more exciting than a rollercoaster," Luke joked, wiping a tear from my cheek.

"I think you need to go now princess, it's going to get easier," Michael said, hugging me one last time. They all did, but letting go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

"Text me when you land, I'll see you in no time," Ashton said, smiling.

"No time at all," Luke added.

Harry said his goodbyes then grabbed my suitcase. I looked back one more time, waved, and then we were gone.