FIFTY - MAYAKO.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

mayako's pov.

"hongjoongie!!!" i shouted as i ran down the school corridor. school was finally over for the day. hongjoong looked at me bitterly.

"hey, mayako." he said quickly and walked off.

i trailed behind him, "hongjoong?"

"hm?"

"can we... hang out today?" i asked and tilted my head with a smile.

hongjoong sighed deeply, "again?"

"whatcha mean?"

he continued, "there was the tour, then tteokbokki, then the infirmary, then karaoke... don't you ever get tired of me?"

"mmm, nope, never." i tugged on his sweater energetically.

he turned back around to face me and sighed as he stared into my eyes. "you win. where to?"

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

"i can't believe you're making me go shopping." he scoffed as he slowly walked behind me.

"do you like these overalls?" i held them up to me, but he didn't spare me a glance. he nodded lazily, "mhm."

i took a deep breath and pouted. "you're no fun."

"i don't want to be caught shopping in a girl's store." he told me, pulling his hood down more.

i chuckled and smacked his arm, "you can just say you're here with your girlfriend!"

after saying it, i quickly regretted it. my eyes widened. this actually got hongjoong to look away from his phone for the first time. he crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow.

"oh, i get it. you like me." a mischievous smirk played on his lips.

"so what?!" i stared at the ground hopelessly, wishing my love for him would be felt both ways one day. "it's not m-my fault."

he started laughing and walked past me. oh, great.

i bit my lip and plastered a smile on my face again. "um, forget i said any of that."

hongjoong shrugged, "whatever. let's go pay."

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

while hongjoong and i walked to the train station, we didn't say anything much to each other after i basically confessed. there was a certain feeling in my chest... and it was so painful.

it didn't help much that the sky was dark and cloudy. it began to rain, creating a dull vibe. i took out my umbrella as soon as i could, and he grabbed it from me. he covered both our heads with it even though we were both already covered in cold rain.

"hongjoong—" my voice broke off and i held my breath so he couldn't hear that i had started to cry. maybe he wouldn't notice my tears through the rain.

i sniffled and suddenly let my shopping bags fall to the wet ground, my arms going weak with the rest of my body.

hongjoong stopped in his tracks to look at my face. "don't cry." he kept watching me, but didn't even try to console me. "what's wrong?"

"no matter... how much i love you..." i could barely spit it out through hard breaths. "you... don't."

hongjoong bit his lip and walked over to me. he dropped the umbrella onto the ground to wrap his arms around me tightly. i hiccuped and stopped crying instantly. i couldn't tell you how comforted i was from a simple backhug... from him.

"you only love me." he said sternly. he spun me around and held my head to his chest. "isn't that right?"

"don't... make fun of me, hongjoong... don't tease me."

"you can't love anyone else because i'm the only guy you can think about," hongjoong repeated to me what i painfully already knew.

"why are you... doing this?" i started to hiccup more and sob.

"nobody else could be yours as long as you live because of me, is that right?"

at this point, i didn't want to even respond. i couldn't. it hurt so bad.

hongjoong demanded, "if you love me, tell me."

"i love you!" i almost screamed at him through the sounds of the hard rain. i clenched his shirt tight into my fists angrily and tugged.

hongjoong didn't answer, but it said enough. the rain kept landing on hongjoong and i as we stood in a hug under a dark sky.

he began in a serious tone, "mayako,"

"no, just—"

"i love you, too."

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ────── ⊰

that
angst
tho !!

hope it wasn't
too cringey lol

also happy
50 chapters!