Chapter 2 Annabeth's POV A Strange Couple of Mortals

• Dedicated to Emily Mervyn

Chapter 2    Annabeth POV

Percy and I were running back to his house to use the phone. Because either of us using or even having a cell phone is like yelling in a crowded street full of monsters, hey look were a demigod buffet come eat us. Also running through the park was a bad idea monsters love places where they can lie in wait and a park is the perfect place. No wonder we ran into one. Just our luck I guess…..We were hurrying through the trees when I saw lights through the trees, and us being us we just had to know what was making those lights, peering through the trees you can imagine our shock to see two regular humans, a red headed girl, and a blond haired boy, holding glowing swords and battling a Hydra.

“Percy we’ve got to help them!”  I said turning to look at him.

“Nah I think they’ve got it covered.” He started saying. “Oh no they don't you're right we’ve got to help them”

Turning back to look at the battle, I saw that the red haired girl had been fallen to the ground, just then a Hydra head came out of nowhere and hit the girl on the back of the head the girl crumpled to the ground and at the exact same moment the boy plunged his sword into the Hydra’s back. The Hydra screeched and thrashed trying to get the boy off its back. I turned to Percy and nodded three times, one, two, three, and we jumped into the battle me with my dagger and Percy with his sword/pen Riptide. Percy uncapped his pen and it turned into a sword, running in front of the monster he yelled.

“Hey ugly!” all the Hydra's heads turned towards Percy and he said. “That mortal won't give you much of a challenge fight me instead!”

As Percy kept the monsters attention I snuck around behind. I was behind the monster long enough to see its tail come up and hit the blond haired boy sending him flying into the trees. Sadly I wasn't quick enough you warn him. I was still a little to the side of the monster I kept going around behind until I was sure of myself then I jumped on to the back of the Hydra. The one thing that boy didn't realize about battling a monster by getting on its back was the tail, keep your belly flat to the back of the monster and it can't fling you off with its tail. I climbed up the back of the monster and from there I could see the boy pulling the girl out of the way, good the less people that get killed the better I thought. I climbed up to the boys sword it was still glowing and stuck in the monsters back. I reached out for it then stopped as the blond haired boy had returned and was yelling at me, he was yelling don’t touch the sword so I decided to do the smart thing and heed his advice. Im better with a dagger anyway.