Chapter 21 Percy POV We fall into the Dark

It was dark, and cold, and I couldn't breathe. This is it?  I thought.  Is this is how I die? After everything I’ve been through? All the monster’s I’ve fought? I’m going to drown in mud.

Suddenly through the dark I felt someone grab my hand.

Clary.

And then just as Suddenly I found myself being able to breath, but also falling into the dark with nothing but Clarys hand to reassure me, that I am not alone.

When there was eventually enough light to see by, I stared in shock at the bottom of Tartarus. It was approaching us very slowly, agonizingly slowly, just like the first time I wasn't sure how long we fell. But according to the Greek poet Hesiod, it was nine days. It could have easily been twice that long.

When we neared the ground, we slowed, and then stopped as our feet touched the ground. Clary collapsed onto her hands and knees.

She looked up at me, and I offered her my hand. She took it, and as I helped her up she said.

“Percy how are you so calm right now? Where are we?.....” She trailed off at the end of her sentence. And gave me a questioning look.

“To tell you the truth, I’ve been here before.” And I paused before continuing  “This is Tartarus.”

Clary looked me me for a second and said. “This is a joke right? Please tell me you're joking?”

I just shook my head. And she turned away from me for a minute.

“Right.” Clary said. “How did you get out the first time?”  Turning back to look at me.

“Through the doors of death.”

“The doors of death? What is that?”

“It’s just what it sounds like, there giant doors that when open, allow anything, and anyone, in Tartarus to escape. Also watch out for monsters they reform here. Maybe I can get Thanatos to let us through the doors, I saved his life once with the help of some friends. I finished.

“Thanatos?” Clary asked.

“Thanatos is the personification of Death. In other words, he is death.”

“Great. I’d just love to meet death.” Clary said sarcastically.

“Well thats good, because thats who were going to see.”

“Well we better start walking...I guess” Clary said.

I started walking deaper into Tartarus with clary walking beside me.

“Are we going straight to the doors?” Clary asked.

“No.”  I replied. “First to the river of fire, but we demigods know it as the river Phlegethon, then to the shine of Hermes.”