Chapter 16 ~ Amara

I toss.

I turn.

I grumble.

And I cry.

I finally throw the sheets off of me and stand up out of my bed, quickly tip-toeing around Noah's bed that was filled with a snoring and slumbering Noah, heading for the balcony. My body shivers as I reach the door and feel the cold knob against my hot restless skin. I quickly and quietly open the door and step out onto the balcony, staring out at the early early morning sky.

Streaks of peach and purple stream across the sky as little specks of stars slowly begin to disappear into the dark blue that was receding into the high reaches of the sky and the moon begins to fade to make way for the sun.

"Oh, sleep, why do you have to torment me so?" I whine as I rub my eyes and begin to wonder what time it was. I look out over the barren streets and begin to fantasize about having an actual life here, instead of back in the states.

"What would it be like to live here? And not have to worry about my feelings for Karma Boy and Dylan," I whisper to the rising sun as a few street lights begin to dim.

And that's when I see the barren cobblestone street in the very center of the city down below my balcony. I glance from the colorful buildings to the barren center street and an idea strikes me.

"Alright, Rome, let's see what art could be possible for you," I whisper in challenge as I dash from the balcony and back into the hotel room.

After twenty minutes of dashing around my hotel room and grabbing any and every art supply I could find and dressing in my art smocks, I finally make it to the elevator and down into the lobby. I quietly bound out onto the street and begin my walk to the city square that was barren of color and beauty. Once I reach the city square, I splay out all of chalk and paint and begin debating.

"For a Roman city square, you sure are plain," I whisper to the cobblestone square as if it could respond and it would tell me of a time when it held more beauty.

I finally decide on what to do and I grab my paint set and chalk, beginning the long process of drawing out the picture in my head. As I set out to bring the picture in my head to life on the street, my stomach begins to grumble.

"Seriously, now?" I groan as I stand and whirl around to find somewhere to grab food. As I look around, I spot Karma Boy watching me from a balcony seven stories up.

"Oh," I gasp, suddenly scared for him to see me bringing my image to life. I quickly whirl around and ignore the hunger stirring in my stomach, due to my sudden shyness. My cheeks redden as I try to focus back on my drawing but I suddenly become flustered and distracted by his eyes on my back.

"Focus, Amara. Focus," I scold myself to try and go back to my drawing but the feeling of his eyes on my back keeps drawing me into last night and the dancing.

And the moment.

That freaking moment that just kind of.....ruined everything.

I glance back and see Karma Boy still watching as I grab the chalk and try to pick up where I left off. And suddenly, I was brought back to that second day in detention where he pulled me through the halls and we put up a bunch of my paintings. I sigh as I sort through my chalk and begin to wish that we could go back to that day not too long ago where things weren't so complicated. And I wasn't ensnared in such confusing and complicated feelings.

"Why are you staring?" I suddenly turn and shout up to him, a sense of deja vu creeping up my spine as the memory of the first day of detention that started this all flashes across my mind.