Chapter 18 ~ Amara

We row and row and row for around an hour, both of us blissfully silent as we listen to the swishing of the water and the sounds of the sea. The sun danced on our skin and made everything feel electric as we glanced back and forth at each other, playing a game of gaze tag. One would look, then the other would look and the other person would look away. A never-ending game of tag. Until we finally come to a halt and I launch forward, nearly stumbling into his lap.

"Woah," Karma Boy gasps as he stands completely disregarding helping me up.

"Well, thanks for helping me up," I huff, helping myself up and brushing off my t-shirt before turning and looking at whatever Karma Boy was too in shock to help me up.

A gorgeous island.

"Woah," I gasp, my jaw dropping to the sand as I look at the bright green palm trees above us and effervescent white sand underneath our feet.

"What is this place?" Karma Boy asks in awe as he pulls the rowboat farther up the shore so that it wouldn't float away.

"I don't know. You tell me. You're the one who had this idea," I reply in shock of it all. First the gorgeous dock and now this mysterious island.

"I don't know," Karma Boy responds, worry suddenly taking a choke hold on my brain. My eyes grow wide and I suddenly begin scrambling around the small beach in fear.

"Wait, are we lost?!" I squeak, fear beginning to rise like bile before you threw up in the back of my throat. I run back to the rowboat and attempt to push it back out to sea to get back in and paddle away but I stumble and fall to my knees in the sand.

"Amara," Karma Boy tries to calm me, his hand suddenly finding its way to my shoulder.

"You brought me out here to talk and now we're lost! I thought that when you meant adventure that it would be an adventure that I would be able to go back home afterward!" I exclaim, jumping up and whirling on Karma Boy.

"Amara," Karma Boy repeats again calmly.

"No. Stop doing that. Stop assuming that you can calm me down with ease. You don't have that power over me," I huff, anger swelling in my chest to cover the fear that was growing behind it.

"Amara," Karma Boy repeats once again and I walk away from him and towards the beach, taking off my sandals and stepping into the water.

"I'll swim back home if I have to!" I threaten him, knowing that it would get him to rile up as well.

"Please don't. I don't want to have to go in after you. And you don't know what's in the water," Karma Boy responds evenly and logically. I take a heaving breath and step farther and farther into the water until I was up to my thighs in cold, salty, sea water. I shiver from the sudden temperature drop and jab my finger in his direction.

"I will! You don't have to worry about me anymore! I'll just swim back home! Away from all these crazy confusing feelings! You'll be able to forget this ever happened and we'll both be free!" I exclaim, the stress of everything suddenly piling in on top of me. I feel all of the confusing emotions swell as I step farther into the water until it was up to my waist. My body shivers again and I feel the tears swell as Karma Boy watches me from the shore.

"You won't have to be nice to me anymore. You won't even see me anymore. I'll just swim back home and tell my Mom I took a plane home. I can go back to normal life and forget anything that happened this week. I can forget the rebellion and all of these feelings," I huff, anger swelling at the fact that I was letting all of this control me. I throw my arms in the air and bring them back down onto the water, splashes of salt water rising in response all around me.