Chapter 26 ~ Amara

"Kayden?" my voice cracks as my eyes fly open to find myself tucked underneath of hospital blankets and changed into a hospital gown. I glance all around the room, panic bubbling up in my throat from my whole body still being on edge from the dream. And then I fully realize that I was in a hospital and I was safe.

"Oh my God!" Kayden gasps, his head flying up as he fully registers my voice and his face lights up. I giggle lightly as he scrambles forwards and wraps me into a tight, heartfelt hug. We stay there for a moment or two and I let myself truly relax in his arms before finally pulling away to look him over.

"What happened?" I ask, feeling the awkwardness creep in slightly from our adventure earlier this morning. Kayden sits back down in the chair and rubs the back of his neck, glancing down at the ground and his shoes before looking back up at me.

"Your brothers said that you collapsed on the balcony in their arms. The doctor said that it was because you were stressed out and dehydrated enough to the point where your body shut down for a little while," he explains gently as I lay back on my hospital bed and try to piece together the last moments that I was conscious. The only memory that came to mind was when the handsome stranger visiting me on the balcony.

"Oh," I gasp as it comes flooding back. The dizziness I felt, the tilt of my body as I began to fall, and the frustrating inability to talk.

"The doctor said it was from stress and dehydration," Kayden whispers in response, his head still bowed and his eyes averted to the floor. And that's when I register the hurt look on his face.

I forgot to tell him about the rebellion stuff that was stressing me out!

Crap.

"Kayden--" I'm about to explain when my Mom walks into the room and screeches happily, racing over to my side and squeezing me into a hug.

"Amara! How are you feeling? Is everything okay?" my Mom begins to fret over me as Alex climbs up onto the bed and snuggles up against my side.

"You scared us all," Alex whispers quietly and I wrap my arm around his shoulders and squeeze him closer. My Mom squeezes my hand and tears begin to spring up in her eyes, causing my heart to break as I imagine what it must've been like for everyone to see me the way I was.

"I'm so sorry I scared you all," I whisper as my brother's suddenly walk in and their mouths drop to the floor, both Ben and Noah rushing toward me and wrapping all of us into a bear hug. And as my Dad walks in with the widest grin on his face, he even grabs Kayden and we all melt into each other. Tears spring up in my eyes as I feel everyone's warmth all melded together and look at all the smiles on people's faces.

"Thank God you're okay," Noah whispers as he nuzzles his nose against my cheek and I feel Kayden squeeze my arm and smile down at me.

"Of course I am, you guys can't get rid of me that easily," I joke as everyone chuckles and a tear dribbles down my cheek. Everyone finally pulls away and Ben wipes the tears from off my face.

"No crying. We have our little Mar back so no more crying," Ben announces as he squeezes my hand before going to sit on the couch next to Noah and the two of them can barely look at each other they were both so emotional and embarrassed of it.

"Okay, okay. I won't cry anymore. I promise," I reply with a giggle playing on lips before I look down at all the wires and IV's I was hooked up to and then the monitors that were attached. As I look at all the monitors, all of the blinking and beeping begins to grow overwhelming.

"Now, to get you out of here," my Dad announces as he gets up and walks out the door to most likely go find the doctor. The rest of us slip into a kind of satisfied silence as I glance at Kayden and see him glancing at me. Both of our eyes avert to different directions and I try to distract myself with the IV on my arm and the tubes right underneath my nostrils.

After what seemed to be a long period of silence and observing the room and myself, my Dad finally comes back in with the doctor on his heels.

"Hello, Miss Williams, I'm just gonna do a quick check up on you and your vitals and then we'll most likely be able to send you home," the doctor chirps as he approaches the monitors and begins to scribble down some numbers or information on the papers clipped to his clipboard.

"Will I still be able to go to the event later today for the Festival of Love?" I ask, my heart instantly kicking up a notch with worry. I had to be able to go. It was my job. I couldn't let everyone down like I already had.

"I wouldn't recommend it. But that's up to you and your parents," the doctor replies as he gets out his stethoscope and begins the routine checkup any other doctor would perform on any other patient.

"I think we'll have you go home and rest for now, my love," My Dad adds in as he walks over to my other side and takes my hand. "You gave us quite the scare."

"I know. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare any of you," I whisper bashfully, wringing my fingers and playing with the hem of the hospital blanket, barely able to look up at everyone.

"Can we all please stop blubbering and just take her home so she can be the little ray of sunshine again?" Noah suddenly whines and everyone chuckles lightly. And as I look around at everyone, I could feel that they all felt he was right.

"Alright, let's take you back to the hotel, you little ray of sunshine," Ben announces as he ruffles my hair lightly and I glance at Kayden again.