Chapter 3

"I feel like you are talking about this with everyone but the person you should talk, Mace," Luke stated confused while he watched the girl walking up and down in his apartment.

"I can't tell him that, Luke. Michael and I have been friends for eleven years and we are living together. How weird is that?"

"You ever considered he likes you like more than a friend as well?" Nathalie asked a little annoyed by her best friend, but also all in for the possibility of a relationship between Macey and Michael.

"What?" Macey scoffed. "That is the stupidest thing I've heard in years."

"Then you've never listened to yourself talking before."

Macey glared at Calum while the others tried to hold back laughter.

Luke suddenly stood up, walked up to Macey from behind, and laid his arm on her shoulder. The girl's eyes widened, and she immediately took one step back, her facial expression full of fear.

"Sorry," the boy mumbled, "I forgot."

Macey closed her eyes for a second and took a deep breath, leaning her head against the wall behind her.

Luke nervously looked around in the room, meeting a few pairs of eyes who were just as overwhelmed with the situation as he was.

"It's fine, sorry," Macey said and blushed when she saw that everyone was looking at her.

"Mace?" Ashton asked with a soft and calm voice.

"Yeah?"

"You aren't getting better, are you?"

Macey sat down on the floor and laid her head in her hands. "I don't think I am."

The girl heard Ashton standing up from the couch and sitting down in front of her.

Ashton slowly started to find out what to as well, it wasn't just Michael anymore who was able to comfort the girl.

"I'm gonna take your hands, alright?"

Macey nodded slightly, the boy almost didn't notice.

He carefully took her hands away from her head and in his, he laid them down in his lap. "Look at me."

The girl slowly lifted her face up again and locked eyes with Ashton. He gave her an honest smile, causing her to smile slightly as well. "This will all work out, Macey, you need to believe me when I tell you that it will be okay."

"It already happened half a year ago, Ashton... I don't know."

"You yourself told me that half a year isn't a long time, and it really isn't." Both, Macey and Ashton, completely forgot about the others in the room, but it didn't matter, they didn't need to keep anything a secret anyway. "I know that this isn't easy, Mace. I haven't really had any contact with him for a year, yet, I still go to his grave sometimes."

"You do?" Macey asked surprised. She goes there way more often than she wanted to admit, but she has never seen Ashton there.

The boy nodded. "I do. And I cried, but that's okay. It's okay that you are hurt and that you feel bad, it's okay that you get scared when someone suddenly touches you, it's okay that you think about him. It's okay not to be okay."

"But... you are the one who told me that I needed to move on."

Ashton was drawing small circles on the back of Macey's hand while talking. "Yeah, but that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to be sad at all, or that you should never think about him. It just means that it shouldn't control your life."

Macey nodded. "Thank you."

"I'm gonna hug you, okay?"

Macey didn't answer and just wrapped her arms around her friend. His warmth surrounding her, his arms keeping her safe.