Chapter 9

Macey lied in bed, sleepless, it felt lonely and cold. She couldn't close her eyes. It was too quiet, too dark.

She didn't even feel tired, not at all, and she has been awake for almost 48 hours. The voices in her head made it hard for her to sleep.

She just wanted to get her mind off everything.

So, she didn't think about it any longer, stood up, threw on a hoodie that was lying around, and left her room, tiptoeing to Michael's. She carefully opened the door, but stopped trying to be quiet when she spotted the light coming from his phone.

"Mace?" the boy asked, his voice telling Macey that he was wide awake.

"I can't sleep."

The boy looked up from his phone, turned on the light, and locked eyes with his best friend. "You wanna sleep here?" he asked, then he looked her up and down. "Are you even tired?"

Macey shrugged and shook her head. "Not really."

"Are you hungry?"

"Kinda?"

"You wanna go for a ride?"

Macey started grinning. "Again?"

"Why not?"

The girl's smile grew even wider and she nodded. Michael immediately jumped up from the bed, took a random jacket and his keys on the way to the door, and practically pushed Macey out of their apartment.

Michael opened the car door for her, all gentlemanlike.

The boy was extremely happy that day, which made Macey happy as well.

"Why is your mood so good?" the girl asked after Michael got in in the driver's seat and started the engine.

"I don't really know, I had a good day, spent some time with Luke. And now I'm spending time with you."

Macey chuckled and plugged the aux cord in her phone, starting the collaborative playlist she and Michael made on Spotify together.

"We need to eat healthier," Macey stated whilst Michael stopped at the drive-thru of McDonald's.

"We are both still alive, I don't see a problem with our eating habits."

"Of course you don't." Macey looked at the boy next to her and smiled, she didn't realise she was staring until he looked to the left as well, Macey immediately blushed and looked down, leaving Michael in a few chuckles.

The boy ordered the usual and started driving again.

"Give me some of the chips," Michael said, "Before you eat them all."

"Sorry," Macey mumbled laughing and handed the food to the boy, whose eyes were tucked on the streets.

"Why were you still awake?" the girl asked after the silence in the car started to get uncomfortable.

"I've been thinking about stuff, I couldn't sleep as well."

"What stuff?"

"You know... what I want in life."

"And? What do you want?"

Michael sighed, he couldn't tell the girl that everything he wanted was to call her his, he wanted her and just her.

So, he just shrugged. "Definitely not to work in the comic book store for the rest of my life."

"You should be a musician." The boy almost choked on his chips when he heard what his best friend just stated.

"Really! Your voice is amazing, Michael. I've never heard a voice as beautiful as yours."

Michael scoffed, "You are insane."

"No, I'm not. Michael, believe me, your singing is beautiful, and the world deserves to hear your voice!"

The boy blushed slightly and hoped his friend didn't notice. "I'll consider it," he said, but he was only joking.

"You better." Macey grinned at him. The boy felt her gaze on him, making him somewhat nervous.

"You are staring at me."

"I like watching you when you drive, it's fascinating."

"Why?" he asked giggling.

"You are always so concentrated, I've never seen someone driving that concentrated, and you care about the speed limits so much, it's cute."

A smile was tucked on the boy's lips. She was right, he did mind all the speed limits. "I just drive like that when you are in the car."

"Why?"

"Because I want you to be safe."

"So you drive totally careless when you are alone?" she asked him jokingly.

Michael chuckled yet again. "Something like that."

"But I want you to be safe too."

"Yeah?" He glanced at the girl for a second.

"Yeah."

"I am."

"That's good."

"You remember when you asked me about our best spontaneous road trip? And I said it didn't happen yet?"

"Yes?"

"I think this time might be it."

"But we didn't do anything special?" the girl questioned confused.

"Yeah," he turned the volume of the radio up when Green Day started playing, "But the night is young."