Chapter 6

“Remember when we did this when we were younger?"

"You know that we did this more than once, right? What time are you talking about?"

Michael grinned as he shut down the engine and took the fast food from McDonald's that they just bought from the backseats. "The second best one."

"The time when you showed All Time Low to me?"

The boy gave Macey her burger and chips while he took his own food as well. "That one was a very good one, but definitely not the second best. I would say the third best."

"Then tell me what's the second?"

"The one when I threw rocks at your window at midnight and woke you up, and made you climb down into your backyard that night."

"I almost fell and died."

"You are overdramatic, I would have caught you, Mace."

"I liked the All Time Low one better."

"But that night we came back to your place at 4 am, and we had school the next day. You were scared to climb back up again and so we looked for an open window on the ground floor. You made me climb in with you, I don't even know why, but I also didn't question it and we were so scared your parents would catch us."

"They did."

Michael giggled. "Yeah, they did. But just in the morning."

Macey now started laughing as well by the memory. "My dad was laughing at the whole situation while my mum yelled at you to leave and grounded me for a month."

"You barely slept at home that month, even though you were grounded, you stayed almost every night at my place."

"No one needs to know that," the girl said giggling and started eating some of the chips.

Macey sighed. "My mum really hated you."

"I still don't get why."

"You had a different hair colour almost every day, your jeans had holes in them, you were suspended from school once, you got me in so much trouble and you were swearing all the time, still don't get why?"

"Alright, let me correct that, I don't get why your dad didn't' hate me."

Macey grinned at her friend. "He thought I needed some trouble in my life and I shouldn't worry about school and grades all the time."

"Very unusual."

"Very, probably why I like him so much."

"You never told me how your parents reacted to the thing with... Jack."

"The breaking up or dying thing?"

Michael frowned, a little shocked by what his friend just said without hesitation and with a voice colder than ice.

Macey shook her head. "Sorry, I didn't mean to say this like that."

"Don't apologise, it's fine, Mace."

"They were shocked after I told them what happened. My dad was crushed because he never noticed what was going on, my mum was... well, you know my mum."

The boy nodded. He knew Macey's mum, he could imagine how she reacted, and it hurt Michael to think about how little she really cared about her own daughter.

"What was the first best time?" Macey changed the subject suddenly, leaving her friend confused.

"What?"

"You said the second best was the one where we got caught, the third best one was the All Time Low one, which one was the best?"

Michael locked eyes with his friend and smiled at her. "Didn't happen yet."

Macey nodded, even though she had no idea what that was supposed to mean.