Chapter 31

After this incident things haven't been the same anymore.

Macey told Michael she stopped going to therapy, that she stopped months ago.

Nine months ago to be exact.

And he didn't take it well.

Not because she stopped going, he trusted her when she said it didn't help, when she said it made her feel uncomfortable, but because she lied to him for nine months.

Whenever he asked her how therapy was, she would always say good, and he always believed her.

Finding out about this so late hurt him.

Two weeks ago he came home to her lying in his bed, crying. Her knuckles were blue and purple, a little bloody.

He still didn't know how exactly she hurt herself. He looked through their flat, wondering to find any marks on one of the walls, but there was nothing.

So, he only cleaned up her wounds, and then cuddled with her until she calmed down again.

By then, Michael realised that Macey wasn't just broken.

She was shattered.

Shattered into millions of small pieces. They were all so sharp that you would almost cut yourself just by looking at them, yet, even those small pieces still were so vulnerable, so fragile.

A week ago Michael met with Macey's dad.

He was worried, he didn't know what to do, and he thought her dad had the right to know what was going on in Macey's life, or why shy didn't answer any of her parent's calls.

He wanted to talk to her mother too, but her dad said that he didn't think that would be a good idea.

Macey and she weren't on good terms.

So, her mum was still completely oblivious to everything.

Three day's ago Macey screamed at Michael to leave her alone.

A few minutes after she knocked on his room to apologise.

Two days ago she acted as always, like nothing happened, she even went to work again. She slept in her own room, a room they barely have used the past few months.

Her mood swings freaked Michael out, because he never knew what was to come. How would she act the following day? Hell, how would she act the next minute?

But Michael loved her, he really did, and never would he have left her just because things weren't going right lately, he promised her he would take care of her, he promised her he wouldn't hurt her, and he was determined to keep that promise.

Macey didn't went to Jack's grave for almost four months, it was unusual, like something was missing, yet it felt relieving.

She tried to stop blaming herself.

One day ago it was the date their anniversary would have been, if they still would be together, if he still would be here.

That day Macey took off the ring from her keychain and put it into its case, she then placed that in the box under her bed.

She felt as if she was betraying him.

But it also made her feel as if she could fix things with Michael again.

God, it was so hard for Michael to watch his girlfriend like that.

It was painful.

There was nothing he could do to help her, he tried everything, he tried his best, but he thought his best wasn't enough.

He hoped he didn't need to get used to her red, puffy eyes.

He hoped he didn't need to get used to the sound of her crying herself to sleep.

He hoped he didn't need to get used to her shaking under his touch.

He just waited, and hoped, and tried.

And that seemed to be their everyday life for now.

While everyone was in constant fear and worry.

Ashton, Luke, Calum and Nathalie worried about the two. Worried about how they kept hurting each other, how they kept hurting themselves, worried about how this will end.

Michael worried about his girlfriend. He was in constant fear whenever he left the flat, whenever he left Macey alone. He was in constant fear whenever he opened the door, scared of what sight he might come home to this time.

And Macey, Macey was worrying about everyone but herself.