Chapter 5

Michael was looking around in the store, bored, sighing. Nothing was happening, no people were there, and the boy questioned how the store even still had enough money to exist. They barely had customers, or maybe they only had them when Michael wasn't working?

He took a random comic and flickered through the pages.

"Michael?"

The boy jumped slightly and looked up, just to lock eyes with his boss.

"Yes?"

"Why don't you leave already? No one is gonna come now anymore anyway and you seem like you could use some time for yourself."

"Thanks, but I'm fine, I don't have a problem with staying."

Michael's boss was just a few years older than him, he was probably not even in his thirties. The man liked Michael a lot, even though he definitely wasn't the most hard-working employee he ever had. But he was likeable, something about his character, something about the way he talked, you couldn't help but like that boy.

"This may have sounded like an offer, but it wasn't. Go home, Michael, I know that things have been stressful for you lately. Your co-workers went home as well, it's not a big deal."

"Alright." Michael smiled at the man. "Thank you, have a nice evening."

"You too."

After the boy left the store he immediately texted Macey that he will pick her up at work since he could go earlier.

Michael wasn't waiting long in his car until he saw his best friend. When the two locked eyes both of them had a smile plastered on their faces.

"Hey," Macey greeted her friend while buckling up her seat belt.

"How was your day?" Michael started the engine and Macey plugged the aux cord into her phone.

"Fine, same old, same old, what about you? Why are you here already?"

"No customers, same old, same old."

Macey laughed slightly and pressed the play, playing the music of Macey's new favourite underground bands. The girl sighed and closed her eyes for a second.

"What's on your mind, Kitten?"

The girl sighed once again. She didn't like the way this nickname made her feel all of a sudden. She remembered the feeling quite clearly, and she remembered how happy she was when these feelings for this boy vanished again. Macey was about 14 or 15 when she started to crush on Michael, it was at the time they kissed, probably the reason why she enjoyed that kiss so much, even though it was an uncomfortable and awkward situation.

Michael was 18 when he started to develop a crush for his best friend, maybe even more than a crush, he realised that he had feelings for her the night of School Formal, and it drove him insane.

Neither of them ever told the other one, both of them liked the other one at a different time.

This time was like a second chance for both, if just the timing was better.

But the timing for these two never was right, and probably never will be.

"Just... things. Lots and lots of things."

"Is he one of those things?" the boy asked carefully.

Macey shook her head. "Not at the moment."

Michael nodded, and he didn't want to admit it, but hearing this almost made him happy, and that, on the other hand, made him feel selfish and uncompassionate.

"I've been thinking about how happy I am to call you my best friend."

"Yeah?" the boy looked to his left and smiled at his friend for a second, then he fixed the road again quickly.

"Yeah," Macey said as she turned the volume up a bit.

"I've been thinking about the same."

"About how happy I am to call you my best friend?"

The boy chuckled. "Yeah, exactly, Kitten."

And there it was again.

Macey's heartbeat going insane.

She hated it.