Chapter 28

“Hey, Nathalie, I just called because I was wondering if Macey is with you?"

He walked up and down the living room, phone pressed against his ear, eyes locked on the door.

"No, why? Did something happen?"

He took a deep breath.

"No, it's nothing, she just wasn't home when I came back from work, just wanted to check."

Of course, the girl wasn't stupid, she heard his uneasy breathing, his voice cracking, she noticed how nervous he was.

"That wouldn't be something unusual, you wouldn't call just because of that. What is really wrong, Mikey?"

She left her phone here, and she has been gone for two hours already, she also had a mental breakdown in the morning, but besides that everything is alright.

"Nothing. Call me if you hear anything."

And with that, he hung up.

The boy quickly dialled the next number, not a lot of hope left for getting the response he was hoping for.

"What's up, mate?"

If she has gone to Ashton she would have left a note.

"Any chance Mace is with you? Or you know where she is?"

Ashton frowned at how worried the voice of his best friend sounded. "No, why? Is something wrong? Do you not know where she is?"

"Not really, it's probably not a big deal."

"Did you call Nat already?"

"Yeah, she doesn't know either."

He already wanted to hang up when Ashton started talking again. "Did you two fight?"

"No, she seemed a little off in the morning though."

Michael grabbed a jacket and put on his shoes while talking.

"What do you mean with a little off?"

When Ashton heard the door opened and closed subsequently afterwards on the other end of the line, he also hurried to leave his place.

"Locked herself in her room, called in sick for work, cried, I made her open the door though, and she told me she'd be fine and I shouldn't worry."

"And you just left?"

"I didn't know what to do, I'm sorry!"

Michael blinked away a few tears as he started the car.

"Where are we going?" Ashton asked after he got in the car as well.

"Nowhere, I'm sure it's not a big deal, she's fine."

"I heard that you left your place, Mike. I'll call the rest as well, you wouldn't have called me if there wasn't a reason to be worried."

Michael sighed. "Graveyard."

"I take the beach, I'll call the rest, alright?"

"There is this place... The hill where we used to go stargazing."

The boy couldn't hold back a few chuckles. He didn't know Michael was into something that cliché, he thought it was cute. "I know which place you mean, I'll make Nat check it."

"Thank you."

The boy blinked a few times again when his vision started to become blurry.

She is okay, you are just too overprotective.