Chapter 7- Blushing

Marinette made her way back towards the picnic area where she had been eating with Nino and Alya. Nino was still there on his knees, cleaning up Alya's lunch. The bluenette knelt to help and gave him a small smile.

"Where'd you go? Wait, why is your face so red, Marinette?" Nino suddenly asked, meeting her eyes. Marinette looked away quickly and gritted her teeth.

Why is my face red?

"Marinette? Hello?"

She perked up and looked at him again. "Sorry, I zoned out. Anyways, I was just in a rush to get back over here... for... class."

"You were walking." He argued suspiciously.

"I need to get t-to class," She said, standing while finishing up packing her things that she'd left beforehand.

"Marine-"

"I don't have time for your interrogations, Nino Lahiffe," She pointed her finger in the boy's face who pursed his lips in return. Instead of speaking, he merely nodded and stood up, pulling the blanket out from underneath Marinette's feet. She stumbled backward.

"What was that for?" She asked, hurt that he had done that intentionally.

"Sorry. But, Mari, you've been out of it all day today. Alya told me what happened in the bathroom. You can't be that nervous to meet with Gabriel Agreste?"

Marinette plugged her ears. "Don't say his name; I can't take it!"

Nino rolled his eyes. "Get a hold of yourself-"

His choice of words triggered the memory of Alya who said the same thing only a few hours before. She took a deep breath and lowered her hands, wrapping her fingers around her right arm.

"You can do it, Marinette. Just a few more hours, then you find out if you'll be able to stay here after all." He smirked. "And if you'll be roommates with Adrien Agreste."

"Nino! Housemates! Not roommates!"

Marinette hadn't thought about what the rooming arrangements would be if she were able to stay, for she simply guessed she'd have her own room.

I mean the house is enormous!

"HA! He may be my best friend, but I can't stand that house."

"I thought you liked it?" Marinette asked.

"Nah. Not anymore. Too much goes on behind those doors. I feel bad for my dude."

From a distance, Nino spotted kids heading back towards the school. Marinette checked the time and waved to Nino.

"I gotta go- well... We have to go! Come on! We'll be late!" She ran off, sprinting towards the school, barely giving Nino time to answer.

"Oka-" He watched her as she ran swiftly and grabbed all of the things, packing them on top of each other.

"WAIT FOR ME! SERIOUSLY? It's not even 5 minutes till!" He yelled after her before exiting the park quickly.