Chapter 11- Rumors

Marinette practically skipped to school, careful not to choke on the candy in her mouth. Every so often, she slowed down to help calm her shaking nerves and rapid heartbeat. Waves of excitement and anxiety overwhelmed her as she approached the school. Cautiously she pulled the lollipop out of her mouth to take a deep breath. She popped it back between her lips, just as Alya made eye contact with her from on the bench. They waved at each other and Alya motioned to the seat next to her. Marinette sat hesitantly, avoiding her friend's gaze.

"So? Tell me about the meeting!" Alya pressured, rarely leaving time for a greeting.

Marinette closed her eyes and turned her head away. It seemed more complicated than it really was because there was only one thought going through her head.

Where do I even start?

"Hello? Earth to Mari?"

On instinct, the girl decided just to tell Alya the end result and spare the details until later.

"Okay okay," Marinette groaned, taking the lollipop out and twirling the stick between her fingers.

"Starting today, I'll be moving my things into his house... and starting tomorrow.. when my parents leave... I'll be a guest at the Agreste mansion."

"AHH!" Alya screamed and hopped off the bench, only to hop back on top of Marinette to pull her into a hug. She embraced her best friend with a smile plastered on her face, one that didn't seem to be leaving anytime soon. Students stopped and stared at Marinette while they hugged. She couldn't help but smile when she saw Chloe looking at them, confused. Undoubtedly, the girl would be quite shocked to hear the news.

"Alya! You're crushing me!" Marinette giggled.

"I don't care! My best friend isn't leaving me, and my ship is sailing!" She exclaimed, not moving from her spot on top of Marinette.

"What ship?" Mari laughed as her friend nuzzled into the nape of her neck.

"Duh, you and Adr-" Alya looked up just in time to see people beginning to stop and look at the two girls. Even students up on the top floor seemed to be peering down at them. It confused them both, but it must have been because they were so loud. But Alya couldn't help it, nor could Marinette. A few days ago, there was barely any hope left that Mari would be staying in France.

"Um, Alya..." Marinette began, having noticed this too.

Alya removed herself from Marinette's arms and straightened her orange shirt before sitting rightfully back down next to her on the bench.

"Anyways, so are you excited?" She asked, trying to bring her voice down to a whisper to avoid drawing any more attention to the two of them.

"Of course! I mean, I guess..." Marinette trailed off quickly, looking down at her toes. "Not really.."

"Why not!? It's awesome! Like, you have the chance to get closer to Adrien too! You should be happy?" Alya nudged the girl with her elbow shooting a wink her way.

"Alya," Marinette beckoned her to lower her volume, which her friend was fast to notice it had gotten high again, "I don't know. Sometimes I can't even get a sentence out without stumbling over my words. I mean it's not like that anymore, really, but... still, I can already feel my shyness coming back. I should have gotten over these feelings by now."