Chapter 40- Blurry Memories (Part 2)

Alya stood there, crunching on her chips, watching Marinette search the closet. She was in her underwear, yanking in on a shirt every so often, and taking it back off in a hurry. With her mouth full, Alya spoke.

"Hun, what was wrong with the outfit I picked out for you earlier?"

Throwing another shirt behind her, which landed at Alya's feet, Marinette sighed angrily, as if her best friend should have known better when she asked why.

"What do you mean? Do you not understand the job I have? I mean- I'm not paid for this job, but like holy crap- Alya... I need to look nice! Not wear your old shirt and sweats. I need to look my best! Please tell me you have makeup...." The redhead didn't argue as she turned to pick something up off her makeup organizer.

"And a hair dryer!" Mari called, putting her wet hair in a quick bun with a hair tie she snatched from Alya's desk. Her best friend let out a long sigh before placing the chips down and finishing what was in her mouth.

"Marinette! You're already late! Just go wearing something normal-"

"But if I show up late like this-"

"It's better to arrive late than never!"

"I still need to look like I work there! I need to look like a model-"

"Marinette," Alya now stood in front of the girl, holding her arms and squeezing them enough for her to drop the pink top she was wearing. When the sight of the pink caught her eye, she let out a gasp.

"I hate that top! Way too pink!"

But Marinette was still staring her down, confused as to why she was acting like a fashion critic all of a sudden.

"Anyways, why have you been so obsessed with looking so professional? It's not like everyone there wears fancy dresses or a suit and tie. It's like you're trying to fit in with the models, is it not?"

"Because. I think working there is something I might want to do long-term."

When the words left her mouth, Marinette stopped moving completely. It was true. Her job was amazing, and she'd love to actually get paid. But once she left the Agreste mansion, she wouldn't be expected to be Adrien's helper anymore. Would she be able to secure an actual job there? What about the internship? If she were to do one for Francis instead- or Gabriel through Francis' agency, how would that all turnout? Questions clouded her mind and the sudden thought of the massive amount of alcohol intake the night prior, made her immediately feel a wave of dizziness. Alya noticed this after she finished her mini-rant.

"And I don't think you should stress about a job you may not have to kee-" Alya blinked as Marinette's face grew pale. She knew right away.

"This is why I told you several times at the party not to drink too much-" Holding her friend by the arm, she led her to the bed.

"You can't go like this."

"I have too. Please just get me some aspirin-"

"No!"

"Alya! Please! You must understand!"

Both girls grew quiet for a second. Alya released Mari's arm and let her arms fall in her lap as she took a seat next to her.