Chapter 25- Illusion

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

September 23rd

└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

Adrien stared down at his housemate, usually doll-like features marred by her recent suffering. Her eyes were puffy and red, skin pale and cold, and her hair painfully knotted. Within minutes, the doors burst open and Gabriel Agreste strode in, hands behind his back and Nathalie at his heels.

"Sir! You can't just barge in like that-"

Swivelling around, Gabriel shot an icy glare at the woman, strong enough to knock her back a step.

"M'am, I am Marinette's legal guardian at the moment. If you allowed my son into the room, I will certainly come in as well."

The nurse gritted her teeth as Nathalie ushered her out of the room.

"Mr. Agreste will only be a moment..." She said, holding the clipboard in one hand and leading the woman out with the other.

"Yes, but he needs to sign in!"

"Gabriel Agreste will not write his name on such papers, nor wear such a pass," Nathalie said as she walked out. The silver-haired man walked over to Marinette's bedside and peered over his spectacles at the girl with a stern look.

"She's asleep," Adrien whispered, avoiding his father's gaze.

"What happened?" Adrien gritted his teeth. He knew his father had been briefed on the earlier events.

"We were attacked. Marinette was targetted and... well," Adrien put his head in hands, "I couldn't save her father, I tried... but all I did was get in the way. Now she's hurt and it's all my fault-"

Gabriel let out a breath and slowly took a seat on the chair next to son. Hesitantly, he wrapped his hand around Adrien's shoulders and let the boy sob into his shoulder.

"Agrestes don't cry, son."

But Adrien continued to cry, tears staining his father's expensive jacket. Instead of pushing him away, Gabriel just stared down at the dark-haired girl and continued allowing his son to do as he was.

"I will speak with the doctor. I'm sure everything will be alright."

Adrien stifled another sob. "Yes, but... I-"

"It wasn't your fault, Adrien."

The blonde boy looked up at his father, trying to determine whether he was truly sympathetic or just putting on an act to appease him. Adrien wiped his eyes. He knew that expression. The pursed lips, the avoidance in eye contact. His father felt guilty.

"I will contact Marinette's parents-"

"Wait!" Adrien said, stunning his father with the sudden yell. "I just- Can we wait until the doctor clears her? I don't want... her parents to-"

How was he supposed to tell him that he was doing it for Marinette? Marinette wouldn't want her parents to worry, nor would she want them to come home just for her. He knew it was wrong, but he had to prevent his father from causing the family panic.