Memories

A young girl with shoulder length brunette hair sat up in her small twin sized princess bed shuddering from a horrific and vivid nightmare. Hearing strange sounds from the end of the hallway she slipped out of bed tossing the covers to the side and decided to investigate, seeing as it was only her and her father at home while her mother was out. The noises were getting louder sounding like someone straining to say something but was unable and instead the words came out like jumbled gibberish. It was coming from the bedroom door, with it open just a crack allowing light to flood into the mostly dark hallway. Her father told her not to go inside when he was busy, but curiosity got the best of her and she tentatively opened the door and peeked inside. Inside was a view that a young girl should never have to witness. Her father was on top of a restrained woman doing unspeakable actions while she strained to scream against the gag. He hadn't noticed his daughter at the doorway but the woman did and she sent her a look of pure terror. Being only eight at the time, all the girl could do was let out a piercing scream which punctured the tranquility of the night and run from the room. 

         Rose sat up trembling under the thick wool covers and glancing around the dark room as if expected a silhouette to be bearing down upon her. It was empty, besides the curled up white and black lump at the end of her bed that was her cat Kidd. It shifted and the feline looked up it's round emerald green and amber eyes illuminated in the dark staring right at her as if disturbed by the commotion before leaping off the edge of the bed its long slinking tail flicking through the air and out of the bedroom. Rubbing her eyes the brunette glanced at the alarm clock which flashed 6:30 am  in bright red numbers, this was far too early for her, but going back to sleep wasn't an option. She slipped off the side of the bed and wandered sleepily into the bathroom flipping on a light and gazing into the mirror. It had been a week since the attack but the bruises were still there, a bright yellow color now mixed with the purple looking ugly and sickly against her beautiful pale skin. The bruises were round and lumped together covering most of the flesh around her collar bone and neck leading down towards her chest. She splashed cold water against her face and gazed down at the white bandages around her wrists. The white wraps rubbing uncomfortable against her itchy cuts from being bound and made her want to rip them off but she knew it wasn't smart. So she opted to instead run a brush through her long wavy brunette locks pulling through each knot no matter the pain and eventually managed to look presentable. She untied the baby blue robe covering her mostly bare body and allowed the soft cover to hit the floor flinching as the chilly air hit her exposed flesh. She then headed back into the bedroom and searching through the ajar closet for something more formal to wear. First day back on the job since the incident and she wasn't all that interested in the pity that would come with what had happened just a few days before.. What William Lewis had done. She shuddered and pulled on a pair of black jeans tight fitting and then buttoned up a dark grey blouse finishing the look with a black blazer. 

                   Quickly snatching her phone off the night table and picking up her purse which rested lazily on the end of the couch she rushed out to go to work. 

================================================================================

           "Welcome back!" Chirped Rollins, pushing back from the desk when she saw Rose entered and forcing a smile despite feeling pity for the petite detective. The brunette gazed at her and offered a small smile sweeping her long hair back and trying to looked pleased with the greetings and congratulations from her colleagues despite feeling sick to her stomach. Being assaulted by that monster should not warrant this reaction. She had been weak, allowing him to get in her head and not fighting back when he committed the crime. The knife had been right under her body, if she had just gotten a clear head and reached for it she would still be a virgin. She gazed at the illuminated computer screen for a few moments running a hand through the silky locks of her hair nervously. Olivia Benson, her partner, exited the interrogation room and approached the desk leaning down over the mousy woman. "Hey. Welcome back! I know the Captain said to take it easy on you.. but I figured you'd be more interested in interviewing a victim with me..." Rose glanced up gratefully at the senior detective ecstatic that at least one officer in the station wasn't treating her like a glass doll. Pushing away from the hard plastic desk and followed eagerly towards the parking lot wondering which victim they were meeting. Olivia had been a bit vague but that wasn't exactly a new thing. She was well known for being a walled off person who preferred keeping her emotions to herself. 

================================================================================

                   "Has their been any sightings?" Rose mumbled perched on the leather seat of the black sedan staring out of the car window. Watching as the trees and passing cars were blurred as they moved swiftly by, just a clump of colors dotting the horizon. The question may have been vague but Olivia understood what she was asking. Had they spotted William Lewis yet? He had escaped after assaulting her and was never seen again which was worrying for them all. No one knew when he would attack again or who. Though the Captain was concerned that it would be Rose again considering he seemed to exhibit strange behavior when he had kidnapped their fellow detective. Not burning her like the other victims or causing intense physical harm or torture besides the bruises along her thighs and neck. Those simply from gripping her slender legs and nipping at the gentle flesh of her neck. A more affectionate gesture which wasn't really part of his profile. "No, I'm sorry Rose. But we will find him." She simply nodded staring out the window in silence unable to think of the correct response to that. How could she answer? Their was nothing really to be said in this situation so silence enveloped them the entire car ride to the hospital.