Trigger Happy

It was a slow day at work today, Rose kept her mouth shut about William sending messages not wanting to put anyone else in danger. Some might call that decision foolish and begging for trouble but the young detective was determined to face the psychopath alone. She didn't want to be the frail little doll everyone was careful around, she wanted to knock heads in like her partner Olivia. Who was so courageous and could stare down any criminal with ease, whether that came with being on the job so long or it was just her personality anyone can guess. While driving home she took in the setting sun with a sort of pride remembering lying at the hotel watching the sunrise and convinced it was the last time such a sight could be taken in. Now here she was watching he beautiful orange and pink colors fade to a deep purple and then the eventually black dotted with the dimly sparkling stars. It almost gave her an appreciation for such a common occurrence. People tended to adore such a sight once or twice but then no longer find it interesting but after a near death experience you learn to value things like that. The simple beauties of nature that happen everyday. She felt her body slacken in relaxation which was a rare thing this week, but nice to no longer be worried or focused on William Lewis. For a few moments all that mattered was the sunset ahead and nothing else. Then the moment was gone and she pulled up into the drive way her hand twitching to pull out the firearm tucked neatly under her blouse. Was he going to be inside waiting? It seemed like something he would do. Wait patiently in the darkness and then strike when she least expected it. The young detective felt a shiver rush down her spine but unlocked the front door and walked in tossing her purse down on the couch and was careful to lock the door behind her and then enter the kitchen. 

                 Sitting nonchalantly on a dining room chair was the little white and black kitten who meowed upon seeing it's owner and elegantly jumped down stalking over to the food bowl and looking up at her expectantly. She felt her heart warm and fed the feline gently petting it's back and holding back a laugh as it's little butt stuck up when she did. Cats were so weird like that with their small quirks. Each one with a strange personality and playfulness that would just make you laugh. Rose always had a respect for the animals and wanted one since she was a little girl but never got one. Later in life she was determined not to miss out and she was happy to have the little fur ball in her life no matter how sassy it was. The petite brunette began to make dinner, popping in cold pizza to the microwave and pressing the numbers down. Climbing onto the stone counter top to wait, nonchalantly swinging her legs to keep them busy. After just a few moments of waiting their was a ding signalling the pizza being down and she opened the microwave door taking out the pizza and entering the dining room. She froze hearing footsteps on the stair case and whirled around to see none other then William Lewis lazily leaning against the door frame to the kitchen. He appeared to be unarmed and glanced at her with amusement and a hint of a challenge. She quickly withdrew the hidden gun and pointed it right at him with a deep scowl. "What the hell are you doing here?! Get out now or I swear I'll blow your brains out!" For a moment he said nothing leaning down and petting her cat who strolled over and rubbed against his legs. That's strange, she had never seen her kitty once snuggle against someone else especially not a stranger. If anything it was rather skittish around people and preferred to stay in a secluded area or on her lap. "If it wasn't obvious I came for you.. or did you not get my note?" He flashed her a charming and sly smiling standing straight and flickering his eyes from the gun to her but didn't seem all the concerned that it was pointed directly at him. 

              "You see I've been waiting here for a bit, all day in fact and I took the time to explore." He walked into the kitchen so casually as if he owned the place waving his hands as he spoke. She took a few steps back trying to keep him far enough away that he couldn't reach her in time to disarm her. "And I found some pretty interesting things in your room.. I mean other then your panties." She flushed bright red grinding her teeth together and was so tempted just to pull the trigger but his whole monologue and coming here weaponless was intriguing. She was curious as to what he had planned and decided to wait a bit just to scope out any other dangers. "When I found this old photo album in your closet. Funny thing an article was at the back.. detailing your father and what he did." William stopped the mischief from his eyes fading away to a cold exterior of pure seriousness. Not looking angry just no longer playfully teasing what he had been doing. Rose felt her heart stop and she glanced over to the living room wondering if she could make a break for it but now also curious. He had heard about what her father had done to their family. What he had done to that poor girl in their house over and over again until she had walked in and witnessed it all, but why did he care? That happened decades ago and Rose made a point not to bring it up again or mention who her father was to anyone. For all she cared he was dead to her and did anything she could to avoid contacting him again. "See the problem is my father was the same way. When I was just a kid he raped my baby sitter in front of me, real brutal like and bought me ice cream afterwards at Dairy Queen.. Best damn day of my life.." He spoke with a lighter tone as if this was a happy story but his jaw was locked and their was a tension in his body language that hadn't been there before. As if deep down he understood what happened was wrong and yet he refused to acknowledge it. "So I guess that means we are more alike then I originally thought, though my pops never got in trouble for what he did.." She pressed back again as he strode over but her back hit the wall and she tensed up her fingers closing around the trigger ready to pull it if he attacked. They locked eyes his hazel ones burning with such intense emotions that she almost couldn't recognize them. Pain, anger, confusion, and a flicker of something deep down.. almost a warmth but it was gone in and instant as he tore his eyes away and backed up. "I'll be back.. and your gun defiantly won't be able to protect you.. I can promise you that." He snarled then swept from the room up the stairs and out the window into the night. She trembled slightly watching the shadow slip away unseen and fell to her knees letting the gun fall and slide away. Why didn't she pull the trigger?