Surprise Visit

Rose walked slowly and wobbly up the worn down stone steps once painted a dusty gray color that had long since faded from use. Feeling sore and swollen but still ecstatic from a rather good day at work. They caught a repeat offender and with the help of his victims he was sent away for over thirty years. The feeling the whole station gets when a case is closed with a happy ending it was just.. perfect. She glanced up at the sky while turning the key in the lock, watching as the deep lavender color of the night shift into a darker color until settling on the normal endless black and the small jewel like stars begin to pop up their light dimmed by the faint milky glow of the moon.  A soft breeze swept the area causing the branches on the trees to slightly sway with a calm rustling sound. Mixed with the delicious scent of barbecue from a party nearby in the neighborhood filling the tranquil night with chatter and laughter. No cars drove past in the little culdesac and most of the lights were out in the surrounding homes as it was rather late. She closed her hands around the ice cold golden door knob and stepped inside the quaint but warm living room. Peace at last, no more worries or fears to turn around the corner and see that man standing their with a sly smile. He was gone and she was safe with her baby, for once she could accept that fact and fall back into a moment of contentment and relaxation. Flipping on a light switch causing the ceiling fan in the living room to flicker on with life and cast a bright amber flow which chasing out the darkness, Rose turned to stare around the living room. The glow from the light had  exposed the long plush tan couch and two recliners pointed towards a long screen television tacked up to the wall. Not very expensive or comfortable furniture but she touched it up with a beautiful white fluffy blanket draped over the back of the couch. Matching fluffy white cushions placed on either side allowing for a more comfortable rest and a bit more of an attractive flare as the snowy color contrasted beautifully with the neutral colored couch.  

              She plopped down on the couch pulling a cushion up under her chin smushing it under her head and plump stomach. Feeling much better after getting off of her sore ankles that had been acting up all day. Sure their were perks to being pregnant like literally growing a human life but the constant soreness, illness, and strange cravings where a real pain in the ass. Hell she ate a whole jar of pickles yesterday and she didn't even like pickles! Rose glanced over at a framed photo nearby resting on a neatly carved oak end table. It had a beautiful sandy blonde woman in it with sparkling caramel brown eyes and a wide smile clutching a brunette man who had a similar smirk. Her mother and father, both looking so elated completely unaware of the bleak future. Shortly after being arrested her mother realized she was pregnant with Jasmine and despite trying to be pleased she quickly slipped into a consuming depression. Eight year old Rose was forced to care for the infant while her mother silently withered on the couch fixated on the television in silence and only moving to go to work. Eventually caring for her sister began to grow a resentment in her for the younger child.. Now she loved Jasmine more then anything and after a few years of them both moving out her mother was found hanging in their child hood home a picture of their father under her. It was ruled a suicide and no other family showed up to the funeral besides her and Jasmine. She wouldn't allow such an outcome to befall her child. They would not become an orphan! The brunette tensed, muscles stiffing after hearing a thump from upstairs. Keening to hear more but their was nothing else but the distant chatter and soft chirps of crickets. It could have easily been her cat or something falling but in a situation such as hers one could never be careful. Quickly withdrawing her cold metal pistol from the holster she slowly stalked upstairs and peeked around the corner. Glancing once into the bathroom which was empty with the door wide open and the spare bedroom which was bare besides a bed and dresser. Finally she moved down the curved corridor to her bedroom at the end of the room slowly pushing it open to reveal one and only William Lewis perched gracefully on the end of the bed. 

           He was Twiddling his thumbs and wearing a long sleeved sweater that dipped a bit low under his collar bone and hugged his muscular arms and toned chest nicely. A pair of tight black skinny jeans held up by a leather belt was tucked neatly under the sweater only showing off his tones body more. As always he looked gorgeous with a curved but firm jawline and dark eyes that flickered menacingly in the light. It was almost unfair how naturally handsome the man was considering he wielding his good looks like a weapon against women. She gripped the chilly handle of the gun and stepped into the room slowly raising the pistol and clearing her throat to make her presence known. He turned over with a small smirk but did not seem surprised by her entrance obviously purposely drawing her upstairs. William's eyes roamed her rounder body and then landed on the plump stomach not seeming shocked at all instead concerned. Running a hand through his sloppy and unkempt raven locks which settled down in an infuriatingly sexy way that made her heart flutter with joy. Damn it, it's not fair how attractive he is! "Rose, Let's get right to business alright? Am I the baby's father?" Unlike before his voice was rich with seriousness and their was a slight flicker of worry and warmth. Locking eyes with her and searching for even a bit of untruthfulness. She could have easily said no but that would be a lie, she had never been with another man especially not after what had happened. "Yes. I haven't taken a DNA test yet but I have never been with another man before.." He snapped his gaze away and slowly narrowed his eyes to the cream colored carpet their was a soft grinding sound as if he was rubbing his teeth together and his jaw was locked in place. She kept the gun raised and pointed at him careful to stay a bit away and feeling a prickle of fear rush down her spine. Fear she hadn't felt in a long while but it went away at the saddened look in his eyes. Like a puppy dog that had been kicked. This was different, a complete 180 from before and yet it was almost relaxing to see him act like a real human being. Not eternally amused and sly but remorseful and concerned about the life growing within her. Still, he did awful things and she was not about to let her guard down any time soon. He couldn't keep showing up at her home and expecting for nothing to happen especially now that she had to protect their child. 

                     "Listen I don't know what kind of a game your playing here, but I'm warning you that I will shoot you if you don't leave. No more games Lewis. You lose." He snarled an almost animalistic sound and in a few swift strides was standing right in front of her, leaning in so his taller stature leaned over her petite one. Rose felt herself unconsciously draw back in a smaller shape and cursed for being so weak her hand trembling over the trigger. It was right there and yet something inside was stopping her from pulling it. What the hell was wrong with her?! A flicker of warmth rushed through her body as he placed two firm hands on either side of her shoulders and gave them a bit of a shake. "You wouldn't. I can tell from that look in your eye detective your still the little mousy girl I kidnapped before. I dare you to pull the trigger, but we both know you won't. You don't have the guts." She trembled slightly and slowly lowered the gun now caged between him and the wall. No! She can't give up! Her child was depending on her. With a sudden burst of courage and detective brought up her knee into his crouch and scrambled out of the room.