Obsession

After taking a few shaky breaths and gathering herself Rose slowly stood feeling her knees wobble and threaten to once again lock but she forced them to straighten and move forward. Taking a few uncertain and unbalanced steps like a toddler just learning to walk before slowly walking up the staircase one carpeted stair at a time. It was difficult to ignore the rapid pitter patter of her head and the piercing fear which seemed to scream Run, but she did it and stalked down the hallway seeming more determined. He would not take control of her life! She tore the knife from the wall hardly casting a glance at the thin slash through the wood and paint, watching as the note lazily drifted to the ground before settling with the message pointed upwards. Rage chased out the fear, a burning fury which caused her to pick up the note and tear it to shreds letting the little remainders flutter down in a heap. "If William wants me, he's going to get me. And a pull through his skull." She snarled to no one in particular whipping her head back in a more straightened position, one a hero might take after saying something inspirational. Her phone dinged inside the pocket and she pulled it out seeing that it was a message from Olivia. Mostly just a check in making sure that everything was alright after the hospital visit. She was torn between coming clean with the message or keeping it to herself but decided this was just something to be dealt with. Picking up the little pieces of paper she dumped them into the waste basket and went back downstairs with a fire of determination burning within. 

================================================================================

                Rose awoke to the faint scent of burning flesh, she flinched at the sour scent that grew stronger with each passing moment and eventually blinked out the drowsiness and groggily slid off the side of the bed almost falling but managing to catch herself with great difficulty. Sweeping her long sloppy brunette locks aside and heading down the staircase to investigate with her pistol rested against her bare thigh. The cool metal felt nice to the contrast of her warm body from cuddling under the covers but that wasn't the most pressing issue at the moment. She slowly unlocked and pulled open the door pointing her gun upwards as if expecting a person to be standing there but was shocked to see absolutely no one. Their was a faint whimper of pain towards the end of the steps and looking down illuminated by the faint street lights was a small chihuahua, it's tiny tan body withering in agony as small round burn marks littered from it's torso up to it's neck. That was the cause of such a horrifying smell; he had burned this poor canine as a message. She raced down the steps and quickly cradled the small creature in her arms ignoring the sharp pains as it's dull claws dug into her pale arms. With great difficulty she got to her legs which now felt like lead, and hurried to a neighbors house ringing the doorbell and handing them the pup. 

             "Ma'am I need you to take this dog to the closest veterinarian clinic and hurry! I fear someone dangerous is out." She barked the orders with such authority that the middle-aged woman, hair all in curlers, nodded and took the little animal in her arms watching as Rose hurried back towards the house. Scouting through bushes and trees trying to find William who obviously was once again trying to send a message but he was long gone now. Frustration and anger welled up inside and on an impulse she punched the side of the house letting out a hiss of pain and withdrawing her hand immediately. "Damn it! Damn it!" The petite woman grumbled under her breath flexing her fingers and grimacing as her knuckles were cut up and crimson from the impact. They stung but the pain was nothing compared to the raging fire of emotions inside battling for dominance. The fear, anger, despair, confusion, all mixing into a wild tornado that tore through everything in it's path. Why was he coming after her?! He must be obsession.. but such an idea seemed so unearthly. What had pulled him in enough for him to change pattern and now stick onto her like glue. She bit down hard on her lower lip repressing the urge to let out a squeak as crimson blood clotted at the nick her sharp canines caused and rolled down her chin in a small trail. Quickly wiping it away with the back of her hand and climbing up the stone steps more determined to fight against the psychopathic murderer and rapist William Lewis. He had awoken something within her and now he would pay the price.  

              Upon entering her house again and settling down on the couch Rose almost jumped out of her skin when her cell phone rang. She pulled it out and turned on the screen which illuminated her face in the unnatural white color, their was a call from an unknown number flashing upon the screen. At first was hovering over the red 'end call' button but eventually, despite her better judgement, answered and held the thin phone up to her ear. "Hello?" She inwardly groaned at how raspy and grumbled her voice sounded from being woken up early and dealing with the whole dog situation. For a moment their was no words on the other line just what sounded to be heavy breathing before someone finally spoke up. "Hello my little dove.. did you miss me?" 

                  Rose froze withdrawing the phone from her ear and gazing at the screen with an impulse to chuck the electronic across the room and watch it shatter the glass window but repressed the action and instead slowly slid it back up. "William.. I take it that note and the dog outside was your doing? A bit childish don't you think?" She kept her tone thin and even, laced with a chilly determination that Olivia would have been proud of, despite the emotional war raging within. Her heart fluttered softly at his laughter on the other line but instantly cursed herself for reacting in such a way to a psychopath like him. "Just missed you my pure angel. I will be seeing you again though.. all in due time. Don't bother involving your little detective pals they won't get to in time." With another round of deep and playful laughter the line went dead and her phone let out the beeping sound showing he had hung up. She gently placed her phone down on her slender legs and just stared at the blank screen mind racing for an answer. He was coming, would she be prepared in time?