Chapter One

......................................

I stood in front of the older pups as one of the warriors paced around the large room instructing them on key points to attack an enemy. It was my job to stand there and allow the pups to practice on my body. It was vital to the packs' survival that they had a live body to use and demonstrate.

"Going for the back of an unsuspecting opponent is cowardly." The instructor used his pointing stick and hit the back of my legs. I barely registered the pain. At 18 yrs old, I had been used like this twice a week for 12 of those 18.

My eyes stayed downcast, I wasn't allowed to look into the eyes of anyone. I had accidentally made eye contact with one of the pups before. They had come up to me before class one day and I was amazed at their acknowledgment of me and had stared, unfortunately, the mother had seen and I was severely beaten and thrown into the dungeons for the night. It wasn't fun, but I knew the rules and had disobeyed.

I have many rules, and all are there to protect the pack from me. As an omega, I at times attracted the eyes of mated males and females. So to ensure the safety of the sacred bonds, Alpha implemented rules for me to adhere to. Even as a toddler the rules I was made to follow were all to ensure the safety of the pups and other pack members. I didn't want to be the cause of an uprising, or some type of misconduct of my pack. I loved my pack, even if they didn't speak to me, I was protected by them and in return, it was the least I could do to follow a few rules and accept my punishments for not following them.

My current Alphas father was the one to have brought me to the pack when I was just an infant. From there, I was raised by an elder omega until she passed when I was 3. I don't recall much of the elderly omega but I do recall her kind eyes, the only eyes I had ever been permitted to look into. After her death, the Alpha ensured that I was taught the rules and the consequences. He did promise that as long as I followed them and didn't get into trouble that my mate would find me one day. I look forward to that day.

"Omega, Alpha wants you in his study." Blinking I looked over to the instructor avoiding eye contact and simply nodded my head. Giving a slight bow and baring of my neck to show my submission and respect to the pups and warrior I silently made my way out of the room.

As I walked I could feel something in me tell me to run, to hide. The hairs on my neck stood on end and I could feel sweat collecting on my skin. I was unsure of what these feelings were but I seemed to always get like this when the Alpha summoned me. I would never act upon my flight response, it would give my Alpha the impression that I feared him, a pack doesn't fear their Alpha. They celebrate their Alpha, and I could never fear mine. He allowed me to live here even though I've never contributed to the pack. An omega was useless to a pack, so I would never fear the hand that pats my head.

The pack house was large in scale and one of five. The one where I lived in was the main house. It housed close to 700 pack members. I wasn't aware of the size of the other houses I just know that they don't nearly have large but still house a good amount of wolves.

The walk was long so I made sure to hastened my steps. The halls were decorated beautifully, showcasing the high ranking pack members from generations past. The floors were a dark oak while the walls were a light tan speckled marble and doors leading to various rooms. I was only allowed access into a few halls and rooms. The main rooms were forbidden and I wasn't allowed to view the outside, so when entering a room if a window was present I had to remain outside until curtains were drawn, or else risk punishment. It was for the packs' protection that I not be allowed to step beyond the pack house walls or be tempted by looking beyond what I've come to know.

My hastened footsteps were silent. My scent alone was attention enough, there was no need for me to allow myself to make unnecessary noises. It was a skill that I'm very proud of. All of my movements were silent. It was one of the rules.