Chapter Twenty-Two

Why?

Was my question difficult, too complex? Ellis just stared at me, his pale blue eyes looking at me with an unreadable expression.

Was it sympathy, pity, or something else? I didn't like the look and wriggled my way out of his hold and then off the bed. my body still bare. I started to feel trapped.

Levi reached for me but I hit her hand away. I didn't want to be touched. I didn't want them near me.

I noticed Basil from the corner of my eye take a step towards me with his arms out. My head whipped around and I snapped my teeth at him.

"Toby, please calm down." Tessa's soft voice tried to goad me into its embrace but I ignored her.

I wanted answers.

"Why?" My voice was firmer this time, the word stronger and more pronounced. There would be no confusion over what I had said.

I looked at Ellis, he watched me with a hawk-like gaze. I could see him calculating in his head my next move. I didn't like it. Was it so hard to answer me? Was I asking too much?

Green eyes flashed in my mind and my stomach did a flip. I wanted Pierce. He was safe. He didn't make me feel so tense. I ignored the memories of his conversation with Ben. I didn't want to believe the words he spoke. I wanted to believe the kiss and embrace we shared.

I brought my hands up, covering my head. My wolf was uneasy. He didn't want to be under the same roof as these wolves. He wanted to see the Beta and at the same time wanted to be closer to Kain, but he also craved the attention of Pierce. His emotions were all over the place and it was making me fill with a sense of dread. It didn't help that I was hyper-aware of my scent.

His scent was becoming stronger and I didn't like it.

"Leave, there are too many people in here. It's not good for his wolf when he's without a pack or mate to make him feel protected." Ellis' voice was firm as he spoke, eyes never leaving mine.

"Are you sure we shouldn't send the Elder up now?" Tessa asked. I didn't want to deal with another stranger. My eyes glanced over at the window. The blinds had been fully pulled back, and the sun shone beautifully. I had broken through that window once before, I knew I would be able to do it again.

"No! Just leave for now!" Ellis yelled out, causing me to jump at the startling anger and the others quickly left.

When everyone but Ellis and I were left, I felt relief. I still wanted answers but at least now I didn't feel as trapped.

I watched as Ellis picked up the trays of food and carried them over to the seating area, and then came back to grab the discarded clothes. My mouth watered at the sight of the food and I slowly made my way over.

Sitting down, I grabbed for the food. It was some type of porridge.

"I'll do my best to explain to you what I know while you eat, but first, please put these clothes on." I glanced between the food and the clothes before grabbing for the garments. The shirt was too big and so was the sweat pants, I did the best I could and sat back down. Slowly I started to eat my food. Ellis gave me a small smile.

"Kain, he was his issues, but banishing you was a mistake." My stomach dropped at his words. I didn't want to talk about Kain. I didn't want to know his reasonings because, at the end of it all, it was me who was the ultimate problem.

"Kain will have to explain himself to you when you are ready to listen and he's ready to explain... but for now can you find comfort in knowing he made a mistake?" Mistake? I wanted to laugh! Mistake? I knew all about mistakes, I had the delight of looking at a mistake every time I walked past or look into a mirror. I was a living mistake. Kain didn't make a mistake when a mistake had fallen into his lap.