Chapter Twenty-Five: Part One

He hated me.

The moment those words left his mouth I felt myself drift. The world buzzed around me. I remembered hearing bodies colliding and felt myself being lifted and moved hurriedly. It was painful. His words rang true. I had left. I had chosen the Beta over him. He had the right to hate me.

I wasn't entirely sure who had done it, but someone had placed me back into my bed. I had felt the sheets under my skin, but none of that mattered. Pierce's words were the only thing that did. I allowed my mind to hollow out as my body slowly grew numb. His words were the only lashing I could feel.

Ellis had tried to speak with me. I had felt his presence but my eyes remained unseeing and my ears deaf. I fought his calming effect easily. I didn't want comfort. I wanted to be alone.

My eyes never left the wall, and my body never laid back. I was frozen. All I could see were those angry eyes and all I could hear were those condemning words ringing loudly in my ears. I didn't deserve comforts.

That ringing.

It wouldn't stop. As the day moved into night the ringing only grew louder. Soon I could no longer hear the words Pierce had spoken. The sound drowning out the world around me and overpowering my thoughts. It was loud and persistent. My head throbbed at its intensity. Overtaken by the noise it felt as if the sound was slowly splitting my head in two. The pressure building as the sound refused to cease.

There was a slight touch on my shoulder and I could feel the movement of my body going forward and backward but I was lost within my own pain. I was a pitiful being

A pinch on my arm had me flinching involuntarily. A burning sensation followed seconds after. It was a slight distraction but did little.

"Toby!" The voice broke through the ringing, and as if by magic, the ringing slowly edged away.

Relief.

"Toby, hey Toby, can you look at me?" Ben? I hadn't realized my eyes had closed but I knew this males voice. My body felt like lead and my mind heavy.

"Hey buddy, open your eyes." I felt his hands cupping my face slightly tapping on it. It took me a few moments of struggling with the wave of exhaustion that was sweeping me away, but I finally opened my eyes. Bens light brown ones stared back into my own. They looked relieved. "Welcome back." A small smile graced his lips. "You gave us a scare there."

I tried to respond but found the effort was too taxing. Bens' face started to blur. He was nice. His large hands petted my head.

That was nice. I liked it. I knew it meant I was a good boy. It was comforting.

Ben had helped me before. He felt safe but I don't think he likes me. He didn't want Kain to touch me at that time.

Ah.

That's right.

He also said that I was a mistake. My heart clenched. I wasn't meant for this life.

"I gave you a sedative, so just relax and try to get some sleep." Tessa? I wasn't sure who spoke but I willingly closed my eyes. It was effort to try and focus on Ben.

"Don't worry bud, he'll be back tomorrow. I promise." Who would be back? I lost my battle and fell into the darkness.

****

"You mustn't cry little one." Who was there? I couldn't see. "Please," Such a warm voice.

"Shhh, you'll be fine, just follow the rules." That's right, the rules.

What were they again?

"Little one, please, you will be fine. See, old Hilda is here. There, now that's a smile!" Who was she talking to? Who was she? The room was so dark.