Chapter Thirty-Five

Days passed but I never stopped moving. Thoughts plagued me and made the day's and nights bleed into one. The moon never lost sight of me, but her once mocking gaze felt less devilish as I moved with purpose.

If I came across water I would pause for a drink, but I ignored my hunger and fought off sleep. I knew if I stopped for longer than a moment something would happen. The eyes that had been following me seemed to have ceased its pursuit, but I didn't trust that they weren't still there. They had felt ominous and I didn't want to think about who could be watching me, so I just focused on what lay ahead. I was moving forward.

I tried to keep my mind off of Pierce but for some reason, everything reminded me of him. I wanted him, I wanted his excuses so I could just forgive him, but I also didn't want to ever see him again. I was conflicted yet none of my inner turmoil matters since I'd been let go. I wasn't followed. He didn't call my name, didn't reach for more. Maybe it was his last act of kindness towards me?

My thoughts continued like this until my wolf had calmed down. His moment of grieving has taken a lot out of him but now he felt lighter. He still ached but the emotions weren't as raw as what they had been. It had been therapeutic for him and I was happy he seemingly felt better, even if it was only a little bit. I needed his help right now, pushing aside my own thoughts, the heat Ben had warned me about, was coming. My wolf was able to confirm it once he'd settled.

When morning had risen I had on the second day after I'd left, the flicker of heat in my stomach made itself known. It was that heat that had my wolf snapping back to reality. We both knew it wasn't safe to continue on like we were, but we also didn't know where to go. A temporary place would be fine for the moment, I just needed one that would help mask my scent.

This heat I would be alone and I knew it would be painful. Without a pack to tend to me, or a mate to aid me, I was fully on my own. I could have stayed with Ben but his protection would have come at a cost. I couldn't continue to rely on others, it never ended well for me.

The woods had eventually turned into rocky terrain, forcing me to slow my pace. Stopping, I looked behind me. The shelter and protection that the trees had brought were tempting to return to but I couldn't go back. Only pain sought me out within those sheltered nooks. Only memories I wished to forget laid behind the tree line. I didn't need to go back, moving forward was the better option.

Tentatively I took a step forward turning my attention back to the path ahead. My body began to shake with exhaustion, the moment of hesitation forcing me to realize I needed rest. The sun was high in the sky indicating that it would be a few hours before night would fall once more. I had plenty of time to find shelter before the Moons eyes awoke. She would give away my secrets if I didn't find shelter away from her prying eyes.

I sniffed the air, my wolf wasn't comfortable being in the open but he also didn't sense any threats so I started to look around the area. I needed a place that would disguise my scent while hiding my body. My wolf and instincts would have to guide me this time. I wasn't sure what I was looking for only that it needed to feel safe.

As I walked the heat that had settled in my stomach started to make its presence known. Every step I took a small wave of desire pulsed through my core. Unconsciously, I sniffed the air again, this time though I knew I was looking for something more than just a place to hide. I was looking for someone to satisfy this heat. I hated feeling this way, hated feeling like I had to have someone else quench this insatiable thirst.

Shaking my head I started to trot, needing to pick up my pace as I was becoming desperate. I didn't need to repeat past mistakes. I wouldn't put my future into the hands of another. I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. Not this time.