Chapter Thirty-Two

Kain.

I felt pain.

Seeing him, his wolf towering along the tree line, brought forward the memories.

His teeth sinking into my neck, his words, his actions. Regret, fear, anger. I hated it. I didn't want to see him, to be near him. I didn't want to be near Pierce either, I just wanted to leave. To be left alone.

I growled low, bearing my fangs at him and when Ben shuffled to the side I snapped my jaws at him as well. My wolf bristled. He wasn't happy, I felt him stir with his rage. He was boiling for different reasons, but it spurred the flame that I ignited.

No one moved. Pierce was frozen behind me but I could hear his angry growling, Ben stood stock still and Kain's eyes bore into me, his silent command trying to subdue me. I wouldn't allow it to affect me, refused to bend anymore to their wills. I was tired.

Tired of the lies.

Tired, of the unknown.

Tired of being tossed around.

Tired of being owned when I didn't belong to any of them

Tired of betrayal.

I was so tired.

I couldn't deny that I was well-fed, that I had felt safe and that I was looked at for a moment as something more than a fly on the wall, but this wasn't the life for me.

I couldn't do it anymore.

I needed my rules back.

I needed the structure, the knowledge of how to act and what to do.

I needed the routine.

I needed the pack.

I didn't need to feel safe, loved, or looked after. That wasn't the life I needed. It wasn't the life I deserved.

I felt another howl try to work it's way out but I ignored it, suppressed it.

I was the Moons mistake. I've realized that, understood what it entailed, but fought my fate. Punishments, that's what I deserved, what I needed.

I wasn't meant for this life, the fact that Pierce would allow Beta to be near me after what had happened proves that my fate doesn't belong with him. It doesn't belong to any of the Were's here.

My fate was meant to be held, to be decided by him. All I was doing was running, and it was destroying me. The small closet-like room was my sanctuary. The cell that was covered in my scent was a place I knew well. I could find comfort there. I wanted time to reverse. I would give anything to have the beatings back, to have the classes back, to see my old pack, to be under the eyes of my old Alpha, to tiptoe around the Beta. I just wanted it all back.

An overprotective urge flowed through me from my wolf but I squashed it down. No, that thing would have died if that situation had occurred while there. My wolf didn't understand the raw hatred I had for it. No matter what, I would have killed it.

It was a small movement, yet it snapped me out of my thoughts and triggered me. I dashed. Kain had shifted to the left ever so slightly but it was a chain reaction and all I needed to get me moving. My body was on autopilot.

My paws kicked off the ground in a dead sprint. My wounds completely ignored. I heard the snarl and bark, a warning to stop. I knew I was toying with Kain's instincts. The wolf barely had control over himself and yet, here I was playing with fire.

The Moon was in for a show and I was, again, a willing participant. The next course of entertainment for her, I was her main character.

Sniffing the air as I ran, I tried to figure out a direction, but the outdoors was my undoing. I knew this. I had no idea which way to go, where to turn, didn't know directions or deciphering scents. I was too sheltered too ignorant. I was a joke.