Chapter Twenty-Seven

"You don't remember."

It was the last thing I heard before I fell into sleep, my body-worn.

***

When I woke up from my dreamless sleep, I felt eyes on me. I still felt frazzled.

Memories. I was missing some and it left me feeling unnerved.

I looked at Pierce as he stood to the side staring at me. Looking away from his penetrating eyes mine landed back down at my bandaged stomach. I felt the itch in my foggy head, the missing pieces there but unwilling to come together. What wasn't I remembering? How did I end up like this?

My fingers flexed as I slowly started to draw my hand near but stopped. My head throbbed. I felt my wolf bristle as I tried to think and piece my mind together. My wolf lashed out at me again.

"Hey there Toby," I jumped as I heard Tessa's voice. Wide-eyed I looked to the healer who was checking the machines I was attached to. "You didn't sleep long, so try to eat and get some more rest. Your body will recover faster if you do." I ignored the healer. Her face was so familiar yet still a stranger to me. I didn't want her here.

I didn't want to be here.

I felt the walls becoming smaller, I looked back up to Pierce who hadn't moved but continued to study me.

He looked different I realized. His facial hair was grown in and thick, his eyes were surrounded by dark circles and his hair messier than usual. I didn't like this. What Happened? Why did he bring me here? Was he trying to get rid of me? Why did he look so tired?

Had I broken a rule?

I tried again to think, my hand trying to move past the barrier so I could touch my stomach.

If I could touch it maybe I would remember.

Ringing.

It was loud and thundered in my ears. My hands lost their track and instead came up and cupped both ears trying to drown out the persistent sound.

It only got louder. A punishment for my prying.

"Stop!" My eyes squeezed shut but it only made the ringing intensify. The pain.

"Toby?" I didn't want to hear her voice. It was like nails on a chalkboard as she continued to say my name.

Shut up!

Enough!

Why was her voice so loud? Why did she have to continue to repeat my name? I didn't want to answer, the ringing was too loud, my hands unable to muffle it.

I felt my breathing start to increase but amidst my struggle, I faintly felt my bed dip. I tried to open my eyes but suddenly a hand was placed over them. My sight cut off.

I went to thrash but stopped when a forehead touched mine and his scent filled my nostrils.

The effect was instantaneous. The ringing faded, and the panic that had been building simmered down to just an afterthought.

His scent was like a blanket wrapping me up in its comfort. Even my wolf stirred for a moment as the smell reached him but remained at the furthest part of my mind. My hands moved and extended toward the body that was so close. I found his shirt and tugged it. I needed contact, I needed to feel him.

"Pierce, get him to eat. I'll make sure no one bothers him tonight but tomorrow we will have the Doctor come to visit." I heard the healer's words but didn't care for them. My focus was on the Cat in front of me.