Chapter Thirteen

The atmosphere felt tense as Pierce just stared at the paper in front of him. Maybe I was being too forward with asking a question instead of answering them.

Grabbing the blanket I started to fidget as the silence continued to stretch on. Maybe Pierce didn't know either. He was a Cat after all, and maybe his kind didn't have Omegas. Maybe they didn't have education classes. There were a lot of possibilities, and I enjoyed those over considering that my question could end in me being punished.

"You don't even realize what you are?" His voice was even as he asked, and he raised his head to look at me. What I am? I'm a wolf, I'm an Omega. I knew what I was but I guess the definition and my purpose was questionable.

I didn't reach for the paper but instead just shrugged my shoulders. His eyes widened a fraction and he shook his head in disbelief.

I knew the hiharchy of the pack. I knew I was the lowest ranking wolf, but Levi had made it seem like I was more important than what my pack had treated me. The small talks that Kain had around me also made me question what an Omega was. Why did I have heat like shewolves? Why was everyone so shocked with how I had lived? Why was Pierce surprised an Omega had been banished?

So many questions.

Running his hand over his face, Pierce looked to the ceiling and breathed deeply as if collecting his thoughts.

"I'm not a wolf, and I'm not fully knowledgeable on how wolf packs live, however, an Omega is a special addition that very few wolf packs have." Pierce looked at me and I stared back intently wanting to hear just what he was telling me. Special? Why?

"I can't believe they didn't tell you. Damn it, why do I have to play teacher?" His growl made me jump a little but he made no move toward me. I scooted myself away from him a tad hoping to create some distance in case he wanted to lash out at me.

"So you," he pointed to me. "Don't have a mate like all the other wolves do." I frowned at him.

What?

Why?

'No mate?'

It was like my world shattered around me. I knew I couldn't mate after being branded and I should feel some sort of relief that I hadn't let my mate down, but the fact that I didn't have a second part of my soul out there was devastating. I had gone years with the hope that my mate would show up and we would be happy together. It was that thought alone that has kept me sane during some of my worst nights in the pack house. When Alpha didn't acknowledge me for weeks, the thought that my mate was out there thinking of me and was excited about the day we would be able to meet, it was this false sense of happiness and longing that helped me through everything.

I shook my head and brought my legs up to my chest and wrapped my warms around my head. My wolf didn't seem to react the same though. He knew more about what we were than me. It didn't help lessen the disappointment I felt.

A hand reached out and patted my head. "Hey, it's not that you don't have a mate."  I felt the urge to slap the unwanted hand away but stopped myself. "Fucking hell, just listen to me before you get all depressed and shit. Fuck Clyde for not telling you all of this." He sounded annoyed and frustrated.

"Flea bag, it's more complicated than the Moon being all like 'Idiot dog A and dumbass dog B are mates, congratulations.'" I didn't lift my head, but I was listening intently to his words. The bed dipped a bit and then Pierces presence was gone. My head shot up, immediately worried that he had left but he stood with his back to me. One hand rested on his hip while the other aggressively scratched at the base of his head.