Chapter Six

"I found you, Toby."

I couldn't breathe. My entire world zeroed in on the wolf standing before me. His clothes were tattered, his face bruised, his appearance was that of someone who had just finished a war. He had his arms outstretched blocking the door and his body was leaned forward ever so slightly. His eyes flashed and I felt the call of his wolf to mine. It was different from when I was in the cell. My body reacted strangely but I struggled against the unknown emotions that were plaguing me.

"You've been bad, haven't you?" An involuntary shiver ran down my spine and instinct was battling with itself. His voice was husky yet held an underlying meaning. One part of me wanted to submit to him, but the other wanted to hide.

"What are you doing in here?" The healer who had been sitting beside my temporary bed stood up, crossing over to stand in between the Beta and myself. I knew I should go to him, should obey whatever he says, but for the moment I had a different pack. I had been temporarily scent marked. My weary mind didn't know what to do. The call of my body and the sane part of my mind was waging a war.

I heard voices coming up from the hallway. It was Ben and hi-our Alpha. I felt my body tense up. My eyes shift toward the window. More conflicting emotions ran wild.

"Move bitch, that omega is mine." I heard his words, heard the promise in them but my body started to move, faster than I'm sure anyone would have thought capable given my current state. I felt the shift happen as I ran, the pain intense but the need to be away from the Beta was to much for me to ignore. I wanted to wait for their Alpha, wanted to wait for Ben, but the Beta would get to me first. He always seemed to beat Alpha to the punch when t came to extracting my punishments. There was another side of my that urged me into running. It may have been the realization that I betrayed him, that I betrayed the pack, my Alpha. I went against the main rule and punishment was death.

Do not abandon the pack.

I had joined a new pack instead of fighting for my old one. I rolled over and allowed another Alpha to scent mark me. I was a disgrace, I would be punished. I deserved to be punishment, but I didn't want death, and I didn't want him touching me.

I barely flinched when my body made impact with the window, shattering it. I knew I was at least two stories up, I knew my legs might not hold up, but I had to try. The heat searing my core wanted to stay, wanted to howl, wanted something but I was lost in what it could be. It begged for the attention of the Beta, of my new Alpha. It didn't discriminate who it called for, but I didn't understand it.

The moment my front legs hit the ground my body all put collapsed and rolled from impact. For a split second I looked at the outdoors, my senses being overrun by the smells, colors, sounds. It was almost to much but when I heard my name being shouted I forced my body up, ignoring the fact that my back left leg wasn't able to move. I could run on three legs.

My claws dug into the ground and I sprinted for the tree line. I could smell wolves all around me, I could smell death, I could only see the trees though. I refused to allow my eyes to wonder, I had to escape.

My wolf was thrilled, the wind on our fur, the ground at our paws, this is what he had wanted since I had shifted. However, as grand as it was, dread and fear is what spurred us to continue running.

I could hear howling from behind me but continued to force myself. I had to get far enough away. Adrenaline pumped through me. The trees were large and thick, the ground uneven. I had to catch myself a few times from stumbling. I've never ran like this before. Never filled my lungs with the outdoors. It was scary yet rejuvenating. At the same time I felt my bodies need for rest, the pain becoming too much for the exertion I was putting it through.