4| Their Light

II

I threw the last empty box in the garage and made my way up the stairs, and into the new flat.

It all felt surreal, that's all I can say. I was waiting for something to get in the way of us moving to the new town, but nothing ever did. It felt like breaking a chain around our bodies when we left. We were able to breath now that we can count that hell of a city in the past.

The better present and the future, my hand couldn't help itself but touch my abdomen while thinking of the future.

I went to the hospital three days ago to check if my assumptions were true and weather the three pregnancy test were true or not, and I was. Four weeks pregnant, the doctor said. I made a couple of test for a general check up and returned home.

How will he react ? We didn't have the talk, we have been married for a year and a bit now and we just thought let it be when it does on its own. Now that's real, I can't help but think, especially in this situation and timing, are we ready?.

I was, I shouldn't say we.

We humans can't help but doubt ourselves. No matter how sure, there's always that doubt that keeps us grounded never making us reach the world of reality. No matter how clear the signs were.

I sighed and went back to the living room, well that has to wait anyway, I thought. There was never a good timing for me to tell him, and it's been two weeks since I've known.

Harry has been doing so well in his new job. They truly believed in him so he showed them his full potential and created a new working technique that used less sources and a better product, leaving them speechless.

The day he told me, I could've bursted with pride.

So now he was on a business trip to the other branch of the company across the country, for four days until he returns. I want to tell him then.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard my phone ringing, and the name showed the one and only invader of my thoughts.

"Hi" I let out when I answered and put the phone on speaker, seating myself on the sofa.

"Love, how are you ?" His deep voice spoke over the phone, and I found myself feel better just by listening to him.

We spoke and talked to each other about how his day went on and how two more days were left and he'd be back. I wanted to keep the conversation going, asking him silly questions and asking about anything that comes to mind. To that he chuckles and answers just as slowly as I want him to. Then before we both desire, we hang up.

"I miss you" being the last said.

A day later, the rainy weather depressed me as it was nine at night when I decided on watching some comedy on tv. Wrapped up in a blanket with a mug of hot chocolate in hand, I watched friends.

When all of a sudden, the front door opens and slams shut. At that, I freeze. Harry was gone, and we know no one in this town yet.

I turn slowly and turn the tv off, my hand holding the tv remote as if a fatal weapon. When I see a familiar figure in front of me, but his expression isn't.

He was damp from the rain outside, his hair over his forehead drawing a path for a couple of drops to shine on his cheeks. What made me take a double look were his eyes, the familiar warmth was gone, and it was replaced with betrayal. None the less he was a day early, what happened? And as I was about to ask,

"How could you?!" Was his only thing he said. Four days away and that was what he greets me with. When he said that I thought of what could have I possibly done to make him look this angered.

"What are you-" I asked him and my eyes narrowed when he gave me his phone that was opened in on something.

I took it and adjusted my eyes to the brightness of it. I gasped loud, this is not how I wanted it to be. My test results showing on the phone screen. The hospital must have sent him the results since he was my husband, and I took his last name and everything.

After weeks of thinking and beating myself over how to tell him, he finds out in this way, and while away from me.

I looked back at him, and took him in. His eyes were softer now but still held a hint of disappointment. His face looked as rugged but tired. Still tired.

I was speechless, this was not supposed to go this way.

"You're pregnant" he broke into the silence, breaking my heart as well. His voice was tangled with disappointment, and I was confused as to what is he exactly.

Before I could say anything else, he surprised the both of us by leaning in and finally hugging me close. It was like a switch to my emotions, and I started crying.

He pulled away like I was fire and looked me over thinking he hurt me in a way.

"I am sorry I didn't tell you," I started, my voice so sincerely low and my eyes locked with his. " but I thought—"

"You thought I wouldn't be a good father..." he said his words dripping with shame and so were his eyes. I hear what he said and snapped.

"Have you lost your mind on that trip?!" My voice raised surprising him, while putting some distance between the two of us.

"I could have never asked for something so phenomenal as to what we have! I don't know what is the heavenly good deed that I have done in my life, that God granted me with you !—"

I came closer to him and raised myself on my toes to be as close to his face as possible and said tightly, "The thought of even having someone touch me other than you, yet have children with—", still locking our gaze, because I needed him to know, I spoke, "—I'd rather be hanged".

After the outspoken words coming from my side of the room, silence was the only speaker left. I was about to leave, to give Harry some space, when he held my wrist and pulled me back into his warm body. I held on as much as possible, he was my anchor after all. My arms around his neck, while his held my waist, and my head on his chest while his was leaning on my shoulder.

"Jackass, bastard, a Prick, that's what I am," he whispered into my ear, making me chuckle and shake my head but he continued,
"I am sorry,", he pulled his head and held my cheek so he locked my gaze to his now and said, "I am sorry. I know since we've moved we haven't found the time for each other much. I just wish you told me the moment you found out, I mean, this is a huge thing." His eyes casted down to our hands embracing one another tightly, he smiled and looked back at my face, eyes, nose and lips. Making me feel the way I felt about him six years ago, still and more.

"So, I understand you're happy" I stated, and his eyes snapped back to mind and answered, "This is the most incredible day of my life. The thought of you and I creating something to be loved and cherished," he leaned in, kissed my cheek and lingered for sometime, "makes me not just happy, but the most ecstatic I have ever been." He grinned, his cheeks sinking in, flashing my eyes with his dimples.

I smiled, wide, so infected with his grin and felt as my heart would burst from happiness.

Harrys' hand placed itself on my abdomen and whispered the words usually too familiar to me, "Our light".

He promised.

———————————————————

Hello;

How am I doing so far ? Comment me your thoughts.

Love and more love from me. XX