33| Tale of a Siren

"This is one of the best places to have your ceremony", Bethany's voice spoke with the sound of the car halting in place.

I hopped out of the car and Harry followed, when Bethany was a few steps ahead, I felt his hand lace around mine and his fingers found mine like a braid, I smiled at that and met his golden eyes.

Four years we've been together, a year of being his fiancée, yet, I still feel the electricity that lights up my heart with a look of his.

"Mrs. Smith is a very sweet lady, she is the owner of this land, you're going to love her!" Bethany spoke startling me and my thoughts. We were looking for a garden to have our wedding at, we wanted it to be in a green place, out in the sun.

We walked through her land, and I could already match what I wanted to this piece of land. It was a beautiful green space, with random flowers scattered all around. When I looked to the left I saw a lake, and due to the sunlight on the water and the trees standing tall by the lake, they produced a beautiful reflection on the water, green, yellow, brown.

It's like colors were put, and a brush was stroked downwards to create this mesmerizing reflection.

Bethany called out for Mrs. Smith, soon she came out of her house holding a tray of tea and biscuits. She was an old lady with a cute face, the sort of face that felt peaceful and kind.

"Hello dear, I'm so happy to have you here" her voice like her face was soft, and welcoming. The type of voice you couldn't but respond back to it.

"It's a pleasure meeting you, Mrs. Smith" we shook her hand, introduced ourselves and sat down around the table, the scenery infront of us.

"Mrs. Smith, if you'd let us use your land we would be so honored, I truly don't understand how it is not popular," harry looked at the land and spoke, "it's absolutely beautiful".

Mrs. Smith chuckled lightly and took a look at the scenery like she forgot how it looked like before we came, "it is beautiful indeed," she took a sip of her tea, "but there's a reason to why people don't use this land, it's because of a tale".

That stopped me from taking a bite from the biscuit, Harry and I met glances, "A tale?".

"Yes, would you like to hear it, Or will it change your mind?" The old lady asked and her blue eyes sparkled when she revealed the truth.

"Yes, please tell us" Harry spoke and looked at me in which I assured him with a soft nod.

She paused for a second, then put her tea on the table and crossed her petit arms. "This land was owned by a couple who loved each other dearly. Their love was so pure and beautiful just like their garden was and is of today"

"The woman got really sick. She got worst by the day, till she couldn't stand up. The husband looked everywhere and for everyone who could be of help, but, they didn't find any cure or medicine to relieve her of her pain."

"One day, the husband was praying by the lake when his tears wet his shirt so much that it dripped to the water of the lake. Sudden light came out of the waters and a beautiful sound spoke to his prayers. Their was a choice to be made by the husband, was he a lover enough to give his dying wife his last breath."

"He agreed and the beautiful creature with the enchanted voice granted him his wish. When the morning came, their neighbors found the wife dead on her bed, and the husband too by the lake side."

I felt his soft finger stroking my cheek, and that made me realize, I was crying. I touched my cheek to see a stream of tears going down my face and a couple of drops were on the table.

"The creature broke the promise, she didn't grant him his wish!" Bethany spoke harshly, and I didn't blame her, anyone would've thought the same thing, but I didn't.

"No," Harry's voice weakly said, "she did grant him his wish".

"How?! They both died !"

"Yes, they died together." I was finally able to speak. Through my sadness I was able to say those words.

"He spent his last breath so he can be reunited with his wife. There love was so pure that not one of them could've lived without the other, so the only choice was for both of them to die"
When I said the last two words, I cried again. My tears were streaming down. Heavy, like the tale was.

We were all silent after listening to her story, even the old lady who must have told the story a hundred times had a wet cheek of hers.

Mrs. Smith suddenly stood up, "I'm sure you'll want to look some place else, so if you'll excuse me—"

But my hand stopped her from moving. I wrapped my arms around her in a tight hug and held on for a few minutes. Then I looked back at Harry to see what he thought of all of this, his green eyes were a lighter shade than they usually are, and with a smile of his I knew we were on the same page.

"Mrs. Smith, after telling us this story, we would be honored to have our wedding here" I told her, my words just as passionate as my promise is. She was shocked at my words, but she looked between me and Harry, and she knew we were certain.

A smile of hers made Bethany clap her hands together, "okay then, that was a real waterwork, however, we need to get going. Mrs. Smith, I'll send you the paperwork you need to sign later on".

Mrs. Smith nodded her head and looked at Harry and I, smiled and went back into her home.

Before we left the place of the tale, I looked at the lake and remembered how the lady told us how it doesn't dry out, the lake has been full for a hundred years.

Then I thought, maybe it's fueled from the bittersweet ending and tears of the couple, or maybe it was the gift of the siren to the lovers, or the tears of the siren herself.

Hello dear readers
I am very proud and touched by this entry, and I would love to hear what you thought.

Love always.