18| Shot and Bled

Part I

What most people don't understand about being on stage, is that we, people on stage or behind, are not able to see beyond a certain point of the spotlight.

That's why Harry didn't see it coming.

My husband was singing on stage, dancing around and with every step expressing his newly written words. With every change of note, he made the crowd scream and light the night sky with excitement.

I was backstage watching him, and like everyone else I was enchanted, blind to everything else but him.

And then, I saw something.

I saw the spotlight interrupted, and move and stop.

I thought it was dust, a fly but when I squinted my eyes and looked closer I saw him and the opening of a metal.  I saw the bastard loading his sniper and getting into position.

At that moment, I felt what time is and how we have so little of it, and at the moment I didn't know what to do with it.

Do I scream for Harry, no he won't hear me with all that noise. Do I scream at the guards to get him, no time. Do I go up to him, no time.

Instead, I ran to the nearest switch and turned it off which in turn cut off the light on stage and caused Harry to frown and turn to where I was standing.

That's when I screamed with the all the voice that God has given me.

"GET DOWN"

But I was too late.

Always am.

I heard it before I witnessed it, and then I saw him go down.

The bullet was just as fast when it pierced my ear, and then it went into the person I call my love. His eyes looked into mine, blinked sadly and then he fell to the floor.

I was frozen.

Why should I move. It's done.

My vision was blocked by Maria who started shaking me, and I saw her mouth move but I heard nothing. Then I felt a sharp pain at my cheek and she kept shaking me waking me up to my core.

"The ambulance is stuck because of the chaos outside, his blood will run dry and you're the only one who can help him right now !" Her words woke me up, sobered me and made me remember all the years I have spent on my medical degree.

All the silent sounds came rushing all at once, the screaming, the shouting and orders being thrown all at once.

My steps were quick and nonchalantly I found myself stood in front of him, I bent down and sat on my knees to inspect him and that's when I noticed rain on his shirt.

No no, those were my tears.

I held him and saw the blood escaping from his chest, thankfully not his heart. I was quick in my movements and my practices in medicine were rapid and done while I looked into Harry's eyes.

His eyes that used to bring safety into my heart, now were filled with worry, and slipping out in front of me into a very thin line between life and death.

I kept whispering, please and praying to the God above. Maria opened the kit and gave me what I needed, I applied enough pressure and pressed hard. Harry coughed and looked at me still his eyes rolling.

"So, from the look in your eyes I'm assuming this is going to take more than the frozen band aids that we have"

Were his words to me. We were in the middle of this greek tragedy and he was joking around. His words were slow and took ages to come out and I know that it's agonizing to pronounce sounds at this point, yet he jokes around.

"Shut up" and focus on staying alive, I wanted to say but my words were silenced with my tears.

After what felt like centuries, the ambulance arrived and Harry was loaded into the car and we left into what I know won't be a good ending.

Cause when were hospitals a blessing.

To be continued  —