25| First Sight

The leaves crushed below his hooves, were making the most peaceful sound my ears have ever heard.
Don't you just love the sound horses make when the run on a pavement or a hard ground.

My horse 'Lover' makes a sound that makes me smile, like I've to no one before him, and pat his furry neck. Then, I pull and move my feet so Lover and I become one and run together.

I stopped by the lake near the railings, and hopped off of my Lover. An apple was immediately snatched out of my hand, as soon as I offered it to Lover. He ate it and a neigh that sounded like a snicker came out of him.

The cheeky animals was making fun of me.

I laughed with him and put my forehead on his and hugged his neck. "You and me, Lover".

I let him eat the rest of his apples, and I sat beside him facing the lake. It was such a beautiful scenery, such a breathtaking view. Trees decorated the rims of the clear water, and the lake was gladly reflecting the trees, the sky, the clouds. But the most beautiful was, my reflection, Lover and this stranger.

Wait what.

I looked to my side and saw green eyes staring at me. I stood up quickly and held onto Lover.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you". The stranger spoke to me and kept his distance.

I don't think I know him, maybe I've seen him here a couple of times, and yes I did think he was exceptionally handsome, but he's a stranger.

"Umm-" and he took a couple of steps closer but when I held tighter onto Lover, he let out another neigh that made the stranger halt his movements.

He chuckled and let out a lethal smile. Lethal. What am I even thinking.

"My name is Harry, and I've seen you a couple of times here before" He let his hand out in front of me and I stared at it. Not to make things awkward, I shook his hand and I saw him relax a little after that.

"I'm Lyra" good, just say your name, you did good. He smiled again, aiming right to my heart this time.

Not to drag things further and before he can say anything else, I got on Lover again and pat him so we could move along.

"Wait!" As much as I wanted to keep moving, something made me stop. Maybe it's his voice, or the tone in it, or maybe like he's known me for years.

"There's a place close to here, that makes the best coffee" he speaks the moment I turn to his figure.

"I don't like coffee" and I attempt to move again but his words cut my moves once more.

"Water!" When I completely stop, he continues, "no one hates water, they have water".

"Sorry, I can't" I end our conversation there and I pat Lover for the third time now to move forward.

I don't even look at 'Harry's face when I reject his offer. I just don't need more on my plate, I don't need a distraction. Plus, I have Lover right next to me, well, below me now.

However, my moving steps were heavier than before, shorter and felt like I wasn't moving at all. It was one of those moments were your brain is holding a 'NO' sign, but your heart is full on partying for a 'YES' celebration.

At that moment, I decided to give my heart a break.

My steps were replaying like someone pressed the backwards arrow and I was backing in time.

"Do they make smoothies?"

He turned when I spoke, and looked like he didn't believe what he heard me say. Like I couldn't exist infront of him.

"They're fresh" he says finally, at that I smile and move with his horse in the same direction.