20.5 | Life and Death

Finale

It's me who's telling the story this time, not my wife.

It's me, Harry.

My entire body was shivering, not from the bloody cold, cause my face was on fire and sweat stroke down my necks and forehead.

I closed my eyes in hopes of taking a breath but I only felt more suffocated with the darkness, so I opened them and looked at the door intensely, waiting for a white coat to get out of there.

My mind wandered back to the last couple of hours, thinking when did it go wrong. Nothing went wrong. We were having lunch, and suddenly, I watched my wife's face turn into a gasp and she screamed.

Now, she was in a hospital room, several doctors working on her, on her delivery. Her difficult, abnormal, condition.

My head was in between my hands, and I squeezed it trying to direct my anger towards something, my guilt towards someone, cause Leo was right.

This was my fault.

"She's going to be okay, Harry" Mother's words were supposed to comfort me like they usually did, but today, today everything felt cold and void, and I wanted to hear no human voice but hers.

I have felt the slow term of time twice, the first, whenever I'm with her. The second, is this endless moment right now.

No answer, no respond from the doctors and all I was doing was praying.

Suddenly, I felt time in slow for the third time.

A loud, beeping noise came from the inside. I stood up and followed the actions of the surgeons and the nurses, who were very busy and each was handling something.

I saw lips moving and orders were set, actions were taken but I couldn't hear a thing, I only saw, and that was driving me insane, making me want to break the damn glass window separating me from them.

Then, Well, then she came.

My other girl, the other girl that I'm gonna love for when I take my last breath. I saw the nurse hold her small figure and she looked at me and smiled.

There's my daughter.

My eyes were speaking on their own, crying was an emotion I hid usually, but today I'm letting it go for both my girls.

She was like a little light, that immediately took some of the weight I was holding, and made my heart rest for a while. That's how I believed in love in the first sight, cause that's all it took.

One glance, I was ready to die for my daughter.

I looked at my wife so our eyes can meet and so that she'd smile in a way to make me forget about everything thats been happening. She'd be yelling 'I told you so'.

But it didn't, that never happened.

Cause when I looked at my wife, she looked lifeless, she was still, her eyes were smiling to the darkness. A heart monitor answered my questions, and the doctors were using a defibrillator, the nurses applied a gell on my wife and everything seriously went into hell after that.

I was glued to the window, hoping praying, my fists were tight, my eyes closed wanting to be somewhere else, someplace where my wife's life wasn't on the line.

Please, I opened my eyes.

I saw glimpses of that moment, cause my brain went gray afterwards. I remember a shake of a head, covering of her face, and sorry eyes. I heard a monitor beep one continuous straight line. That was the loudest noise I have ever heard in my life, and then the cries came from behind me, my mother, sister, but then I went deaf.