3

Mallory groaned as she dropped onto Stefan's bed, "Being a fifteen-year-old girl is tiring," Mallory complained to her older brother, who chuckled

"Really?" He asked her amused, "You seem to be doing great at it. You have everyone believing you're some social butterfly. I thought you were going to lay low."

Before Mallory could answer, Zach entered Stefan's bedroom, holding up a newspaper, "The two of you promised." He spoke up, causing both Stefan and Mallory to give him a confused look.

Mallory stood up from lying on Stefan's bed as Stefan snatched the newspaper out of Zach's hand. She stood on her tiptoes to look over Stefan's shoulder, finding that the front of the newspaper was an article about a man and woman being attacked by what they claimed to be an animal. Mallory knew better than to believe that.

"This was an animal attack," Stefan told Zach, glancing up at the human male after reading a bit of the article.

Mallory scoffed, "I doubt it. When is it ever an actual animal attack?" She commented but ended up being ignored by Zach.

"Don't give me that," Zach argued with Stefan, "I know the game. You tear them up enough, they always suspect an animal attack. You said you had it under control."

"And I do." Stefan snapped at him before avoiding eye contact with him.

"Please, Uncle Stefan. Mystic Falls is a different place now. It's been quiet for years, but there are people who still remember. And the two you being here, it's just going to stir things up." Zach explained to him and Mallory deep down knew he was right.

"It's not our intention," Stefan replied to what he had said.

"Then what is? Why did you guys come back? After all this time, why now?" Zach asked him annoyed.

"I don't have to explain myself," Stefan argued with Zach in a stern tone.

"I know that you can't change what you are. But the two you don't belong here anymore." Zach told him with a sigh.

"Where do we belong then, huh?" Mallory asked, finally speaking up after being quiet for so long.

"I can't tell you what to do. Neither of you. But coming back here was a mistake." Zach said before leaving.

Once Zach was gone, Stefan turned to Mallory, giving her a questioning look, "What?" Mallory asked him confused, only to realize that he assumed that the attack was her, "It wasn't me, I swear. I fed on someone tonight, but it was nowhere nearby. It was two towns over."

Stefan just nodded before walking over to his own cabinet of journals. He opened up the door before taking out the journal that was from the year 1864. He opened it, only to reveal an old photograph of Katherine.

"You didn't tell me, you know," Mallory spoke up, causing Stefan to turn his head to look at her, "You said they have similarities, not that they had the same exact face."