6

At the Gilbert Residence, Elena, Stefan, Mallory, and Bonnie were eating together

At the Gilbert Residence, Elena, Stefan, Mallory, and Bonnie were eating together. There was an uncomfortable silence between them and it had Mallory on the verge of just leaving.

Elena, who couldn't take it anymore, spoke up, "Did Tanner give you a hard time today?" She asked Stefan curiously.

"Well, he let me on the team, so I must have done something right," Stefan replied with a smile on his face.

Elena chuckled at Stefan's comment before turning to her best friend, "Bonnie, you should have seen Stefan today. Tyler threw a ball right at him, and--"

Before Elena could finish her sentence, Bonnie cut her off, nodding her head, "Yeah, I heard."

Elena awkwardly took a sip of her soda while Stefan and Mallory shared a glance, "Why don't you tell Stefan and Mallory about your family?" Elena told Bonnie.

Bonnie gave Elena a weird look before looking over at Stefan, "Um, divorced. No mom. Live with my dad." She informed him and Stefan nodded his head in understanding.

"No, about the witches," Elena told her and both Stefan and Mallory looked up, clearly interested, "Bonnie's family has a lineage of witches. It's really cool."

Mallory smiled slightly, leaning forward in her seat, "Cool isn't the word I'd use." Bonnie replied.

"Well, it's certainly interesting. I'm not too versed, but I do know that there's a history of Celtic druids that migrated here in the 1800s." Stefan explained to her.

"Yeah, I heard about that too," Mallory added in, nodding her head in agreement.

"My family came by way of Salem," Bonnie informed them, clearly not as interested as Mallory and Stefan were.

"Really? Salem witches?" Stefan questioned.

"Her name's Bonnie Bennett, dumbass," Mallory said under her breath, causing Stefan to kick her under the table since he was the only one to hear her.

"Yeah," Bonnie confirmed.

"I would say that's pretty cool." Stefan commented and Elena nodded in agreement.

"Really? Why?" Bonnie asked curiously.

"Salem witches are heroic examples of individualism and nonconformity." Stefan explained to her and Bonnie couldn't help but smile slightly.

It was as if the whole mood changed between Bonnie and Stefan, Mallory couldn't almost feel it, "Yeah, they are." Bonnie replied, smiling.

"Our ancestors from the 1860s were actually friends with some Bennetts. I heard about it in a diary in our house." Mallory informed Bonnie and Stefan, yet again, kicked her under the table to shut her up.

Elena frowned at them, but before she could say anything, the doorbell rang, "I wonder who that could be." She commented before getting up and going over to the door.