19

"Try to hit me." I stood in front of Percy, trident held loosely in my hand.

She shook her head, a slightly smaller version in her hands.

Sighing, I stared at her. "I can block it. I just need to see where to begin with your training."

The trident gleamed as Percy moved it into a fighting position.

She jabbed at me and I blocked the strike. Then I went on the offensive.

Percy shifted her weapon, catching each of my attacks. But eventually one of my attacks glanced off, the metal digging into her.

Her trident clattered to the ground as blood stained her shirt.

"Hold still." I gently moved towards her, trying to keep the trident steady to prevent it from getting worse.

Tears fell down her face as I inspected the wound.

Gods, this is close. A little bit to the side and...

I swallowed. Tridents aren't designed to be easily removed.

"Percy." Resting a hand on her face, I made her look at me.

"Listen carefully, you need to relax. The ends of the trident are-"

"Pronged." She mumbled. "You're going to have to make another cut so you can slide it out."

I nodded pulling a knife out of my pocket. I usually keep it on me in case I find an animal trapped in something, never thought it would come in handy like this.

"As soon as I get it out, I am going to run you to the showers so you can heal yourself."

"Okay..."

I placed the knife against her skin and pressed it down until it hit my trident.

Blood welled around my hands, but I finally removed it.

Lifting Percy into my arms I ran to the showers, passing Oliver.

Once inside I pulled open the curtain on a stall, turning the water on full blast.

I sat Percy on the ground and she pulled off her shirt, revealing the injuries a few inches above her training bra.

The water washed over her, knitting the skin back together. I can't even see where I hit her.

"Are you okay?" I mumbled, moving her closer to me.

She nodded, turning into my side.

We sat in the falling water for a few minutes.

"Next time, turn it so it'll catch the prongs." I chuckled softly.

"Noted."

"Do you like Camp Half-Blood?" I never really asked her this before.

"It's nice...kinda lonely. I mean I have friends, but my cabin is pretty much empty."

She moved to look up at me. "Did...did you hang around because my dad told you to?"

Leaning down, I kissed her head. "I stuck around because I love you Percy. Your father wanted me to pick your guard, I chose Kaldur'ahm. After that I could have left, but I didn't want to. You were so precious."

"But-"

"Percy, I helped raise you of my own free will...You are my child."

Two days later

"Percy?" I walked through the Cave, looking for her.

This is weird, she's been hanging out in the living room. And Percy is such a creature of habit it's not funny.

Eventually, I heard laughter and I walked into her room.

Kaldur's tattoos were glowing as he focused on forming shapes out of water.

The water fell onto the ground, Kaldur gasping for breath and looking like he just ran a marathon.

"It looks-" He paused. "Easy when you do it."

"It's in my blood. And you managed that without touching the water, you know that's harder than what other kids are doing."

The water lifted up and swirled around the daughter of Poseidon. 

"Besides, I know why you're trying this hard. And you don't need to worry."

"You could have died Percy. What would have happened if you couldn't have held that weight?"

Percy smiled, but it seemed forced... it barely reached her eyes.

"I'm fine Kaldur. There's no use worrying about it."

"You two having fun?" I finally spoke, their heads snapping to stare at me.

"Hey Orin."

"My king."

I walked over and sat between the two of them, expecting nothing more than the usual hug from Percy.

But she wrapped her arms around, clinging to me.

I just sighed and pulled her close. Something weird is going on here.

The next day

I sat next to Percy, who was slowly twirling Riptide around her fingers.

"Do you want to talk about something?"

She shook her head.

Sighing, I pulled her to me. "You know you can tell me anything right?"

"I know..." Her eyes met mine and I frowned.

There's something really wrong. I thought there was yesterday, but now I know there is.

"Percy? Have you seen my armor?" Kaldur walked in and I gestured for him to join us.

The fifteen year old sat on my other side.

"Keep an eye on her." I mumbled, covering Percy's ears.

"I always do."

After a minute, Kaldur leaned against me, sighing as he relaxed.

Percy shifted, now laying across both of us.

Kaldur ran his fingers through Percy's hair. "Can you make cookies later?"

She laughed, not a happy laugh just...one that isn't really a laugh.

I know she's...

But I didn't know that it was happening for this long.

Anyway, Kaldur didn't seem to notice the change, instead poking Percy repeatedly while saying please.

"Fine. Maybe, but you have to help me."

"I am fine with that."

OKAY

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I AM YELLING BECAUSE I'M RUNNING AROUND TRYING TO GET LIKE SEVEN OTHER CHAPTERS DONE WHILE DOING THINGS LIKE PLAY VIDEO GAMES AND AVOID FAMILY

SEE YAH