67

"Come on, Kaldur, it's not that bad," I said, barely holding back my laughter. "I think Triton's clothes look good on you."

Kaldur scowled and crossed his arms, trying desperately to cover up the writing on the shirt Triton gave him. A shirt I gave him as a joke, and a shirt which he now uses to torture other people, usually me. In a shade of pink so horribly neon it would hurt any normal person's eyes, an effect that had to be killing Kaldur, the shirt was something out of nightmares. Which is precisely the reason I got it for Triton in the first place.

"If this is the type of gift you give your biological siblings, I am not sure I wish to be considered your brother going forth."

"Unlike him, you didn't try to make my life miserable and then turn around and become overprotective.  You just skipped right to the overprotective part."

"Percy, it is my job to protect you."

I stuck my tongue out at him, before a grin stretched itself over my features. The few days we had spent with Aunt Lana and Calvin had been good for him, for us. Hopefully, the time Dad wants us to stay here won't reverse that. Yes, Dad said he'd be nicer to Kaldur, but he also swore he wouldn't have kids and look where we are now.

Kaldur's hand ruffled my hair. "You cannot deny it, just as we cannot get out of this next week." 

"Ten dollars that Triton tries to fight you."

"Is this not a declaration of war?" he asked, pointing at the shirt. "Because that is what it feels like."

"So is that a bet or not?"

"No. Now come on, we do not want to make them wait."

I laughed and walked out of the room, Kaldur trailed behind me. Despite everything that's happened since the last time I was here, and I'm not counting right after the 'incident' only right before it, things hadn't changed much. The servants still waved to us and we still waved back, one of them caught me in a conversation and it was only Kaldur saying my dad wanted us that kept me from getting sidetracked.

Of course, what I mean is Kaldur had to grab my arm and drag me away.

"If any of the royal guard see me doing this," he mumbled. "I am dead."

I rolled my eyes. Even dragging me around the palace without his armor on, he was still my appointed knight. Sure there are proper etiquette rules he's supposed to follow, but there are some things I can waive, and you as sure as Hades can bet I got rid of those the second I realized I could. 

"Hey, Dad," I said, pulling free of Kaldur. The second I was within reach, Dad pulled me into a tight hug. Soon I was joined by Kaldur, who once again struggled before giving in to his fate. Because there is no escape for us, not until Dad decides he's done hugging us. I didn't mind it, I'm his kid and I'm a demigod and he's a god and he's choosing to be a good parent, but Kaldur isn't his kid. And there's still the whole awkwardness of, you know, Dad threatening his life pretty much every time they're in the same room together. 

"How are you?" Dad asked. "Both of you?"

"Tired. Did you really need us here so early?"

"I have a few meetings today, and I would rather spend time with you before I want to flood three countries." He kissed the top of my head. "And what about you, Kaldur?"

"Uh, Dad?" I said. "I think he's still kinda weirded out by the one eighty."

Dad's chest rumbled with laughter and he hugged us just a little bit tighter. I didn't mind. After everything that's happened my mind and body basically screamed that he was safe. So if I found myself pressing further into the hug, no one outside the room needed to know that.

Of course, Amphitrite and Triton just had to pick that moment to come in. To her credit, Amphitrite didn't make too big of a deal about this; a small frown painted her face, but it was nothing like I was expecting. Then again, I didn't know exactly I was expecting. She's not Hera. She attempts to be civil with me, even if some of those attempts end badly.

Triton on the other hand, overprotective big brother all the way. I don't know how it happened, but we'd fallen into the rut of what I could only approximate as a normal sibling relationship. At least I think. I don't exactly have enough normal in my life to know. For all I know, it might not be normal for your brother to occasionally try to kill you. 

"Hey, brat." Triton grinned swimming over. The water between me and Dad tightened around me, something I'd long ago realized was Triton's version of a hug. He couldn't just go around and show affection to his father's bastard child, now could he? Could he?

Yes. He very easily could. Hades, he'll actually hug Tyson. Though I'm not entirely sure how much of that is because of the like ten times I've threatened him on the subject and how much of it is because he genuinely wants to. I thought this would be like every other time, but it wasn't.  He slipped his arms around me and pulled me away from Dad. 

"If you ever do something that stupid again, I swear I am going to handcuff you to Tyson." His words were mumbled into my hair. "The big oaf...Do you know how upset he's been?"

"Triton," Dad warned.

But still, Triton kept talking. "He's been crying his eye out about why would she do that? What if she hadn't woken up? What if I hadn't been there? What if I hadn't been fast enough? Fuck, Percy I don't get why you'd do that, and part of me never wants to. And I really know I shouldn't be making this about Tyson, but I don't know what he would've done if you died. He's still so young and it doesn't take much to make a cyclops snap at that age." On and one he went, voice wobbling only to steel back into the authoritative tone of a god and make its way back down again. I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder.

"I get it, Triton. I get it."

And I really did.

IM ALIVE

SOMEHOW

College wants me dead. I may or may not have skipped a class to talk to someone and write and read, but I can barely focus and if I logged into that class no way would I have energy for my next one

See yah