58

"Give me a boost." I looked at Kaldur. He nodded and helped me get over the fence before jumping over it.

"You could have jumped that." He said.

"I know, but there's barbed wire and your skin is a lot tougher than mine. Now come on, we need to catch Chesire before she manages to blow something up." I tugged at the end of my sleeve. "Uh, why is she even here?"

"Your guess is as good as mine." Kaldur sighed. "This is the only thing I was able to find out before they revoked my security clearance."

"So we're going to have to worry about the others showing up?"

"We have a high possibility of that occurring, yes. But if we take care of her before they can, it will show them that you are not someone to distrust."

I nodded and walked out into the crowded path, quickly disappearing into the sea of people.

A hand caught my arm and I whipped around.

"I wish you would not do this." Kaldur mumbled. "It is hard to protect you if I cannot see you."

"It's also hard to protect me if I don't want you to."

Kaldur wrapped an arm around me and pulled me through the carnival.

"Hey, uh, Kaldur? While we look for her I was thinking that we play some games and win."

"Why do I not like the way you said that?"

"Because I am fully planning on using my powers to cheat. These games are rigged. Might as well even the scales am I right?"

Kaldur stared at me and when he realized I wasn't joking he nodded in resignation. "Fine, but did you bring money?"

"That's what the Mist is for my young friend."

We spent the next hour or two playing different games, with me using a combination of my demigod training and my powers to win.

I ended up walking around with a big stuffed animal but it was fine.

"This way." He took my hand and pulled me once again.

Staring up at where we ended up, I had one question.

"Why the Ferris Wheel?"

"It seems like it would be fun. We were never allowed to go on them remember?"

I chuckled. "Well, at least we know why. Mom was scared my uncle would sense me somehow. But now...let's go. Plus we might be able to see anything going on."

We stood in line and I used the Mist to get us onto the ride. As we ascended into the air I found myself leaning into Kaldur's warmth.

"Are you cold?"

"What do you think?" I rolled my eyes and looked out over the carnival. A sigh left my lips. "I...I know I've said this a lot but-"

"I'm not allowed to harm or kill myself, I am aware."

"I mean, yes but not that. I was going to say I really hate your oath. But I'm kinda glad you took it right now."

"Why?"

"Because I know I have someone. I know I have you to talk to and go to and I know someone- I know someone will miss me."

"Your father would-"

"He doesn't really care about me. All he wants is to have a weapon. All he wants is to keep me alive. He forced me to swear on your parents' lives to keep me from trying to kill myself again. If he really loved me, if he had even an ounce of care in him, he wouldn't have done that."

He turned my head so I could look at him. "Your Highness, even if it is true your father does not care, my parents love you, the king and queen love you. Our friends care for you."

I scoffed. "Coming from you that's hypocritical."

Kaldur lowered his eyes. "I am well aware, but I mean less than you do. If you were to die, the entirity of Atlantis would mourn. Your father would wreck havoc across land and sea. If I were to perish, the only ones to mourn would be those who know me. No one would suffer."

We stared at each other before I leaned in and hugged him. "We're both idiots aren't we?"

The ride shuddered to a stop and I pulled away from Kaldur so I could look around.

"I don't like this." I mumbled.

"Maybe the ride is having maintenance issues." Kaldur said. "Or perhaps a couple bribed the operator to stop it at the top for them."

An explosion lit up part of the carnival.

"Or Chesire decided to make her move." I started undoing my seatbealt.

"You are not jumping from here."

"Watch me." I rolled my eyes. Before I could, Kaldur grabbed ahold of me.

"Half-blood or not, that fall will carry a great risk of breaking a bone. The best options here is for me to jump down carrying you."

"I'm not a damsel in distress."

"I never suggested you were. It is simply the best option to get down to the ground. You could call Blackjack but that carries the risk of someone seeing him for himself. In addition, you'll probably fall and hurt yourself anyway so me carrying down is the only option I feel comfortable taking. Even if it results in me getting stabbed."

I chuckled and stared off towards the explosion, where I could see some sort of fighting going on.

"I think we can sit this one out actually. They can handle it."

As I said that, the ferris wheel lurched and began moving again.

"If that is the case, where do you want to go?" Kaldur asked.

I thought about it for a second. "Maybe some breakfast?"

"It's night Percy."

"Doesn't mean we can't have pancakes."

Wow it feels like it's been forever.

Welp

Here you guys go

And uh, I'm gonna go make some cookies cause uh

Well I lost my car keys at practice today so me and another kid searched the school and didn't find them.

I called my mom and told her so as I was waiting I went with two other kids and looked around before sitting with them

My friend and her sister walks in and I ask her sister if she had them and she's like

K didn't give them back?

Yeah, he took my keys, put them in his bag to see if I'd notice and then left forgetting he had them

Anyway

I'm gonna go make those cookies

See yah