66

The moment we swam into the house, Kaldur and I found ourselves pulled into tight hugs. Him by his mother, me by his father. Calvin's arms were tight around me.

"We were so worried," Calvin mumbled into my hair. "How are you feeling?"

"You're not going to yell at us? You're not going to yell at me about how this would effect Camp?" I looked up at him.

"I am more concerned about the two of you than anything else. Before you attempt to argue, you are as much of my child as Kaldur is, okay? Since your mother and step-father are no longer around to worry about you, allow us. So I will ask again, how are you feeling?"

"Crappy, but manageable," I said finally returning the hug. I glanced to my side and saw Kaldur tucking his head against Aunt Lana's shoulder, body shaking. Soft words left her lips, and he nodded.

Calvin lifted me. "What do you want us to do for you? What do you need us to do for you?" My eyes widened. Small sobs left my mouth and he started panicking. "Sha'lain'a, I think I broke her!"

I shook my head. "It's just- nobody else has asked us that."

Calvin's hands moved to cup my face. "My poor child. You do not deserve what the world has thrown at you." He paused. "I know it will not be the same as if we were surface-side, but do you wish to make a blanket fort?"

Honestly, I thought about it for a minute. In the end, I shook my head. "I really just want to be hugged."

"I am more than willing to do that for you. Do the two of you want to move to the living room?"

I nodded. Calvin guided me through the familiar layout of the house, before releasing me so I could pick where I wanted to sit. I curled up on the couch. Calvin sat beside me, lifting an arm so I could lean into his side. The material of his clothes was soft and smooth against my skin. With how I was leaning against him, I could hear his heart beating. Tension dropped from my shoulders, and I made a small sound of contentment.

Aunt Lana led Kaldur in. She tried to pry him away, but he refused to let go of her. She sighed.

"Little one, I am not going anywhere," she said. "Do you wish to sit with Percy, with your princess?"

"Aunt Lana, I think he needs you more than he needs me." At my words, she nodded. A small smile appeared on my face as Kaldur continued to cling to his mom. Calvin tightened his arm around me, before running his webbed fingers through my hair.

"No matter how old you two get, you two are always welcome to come to us if you feel you need help," he said. "Or if you simply feel like being around us. I know the two of you do not like pulling rank, but it would allow us to get out of arrangements without punishment. "

I dont know how long we sat there, or how long Kaldur held onto Aunt Lana, but after a while I nodded off. It wasn't a deep sleep by any means, I stirred every time Calvin tried to move. The only time I fully woke up was when Kaldur sank onto the couch beside me.

Aunt Lana kissed my forehead. "I will be back shortly. I need to get groceries; it should not be more than a half hour. Do you think you can handle them, Calvin?"

"Yes. Stay safe."

"I will."

I smiled and turned towards Kaldur. Nothing was said when I hugged him, and nothing was said when he hugged back. We were with family, not a group of judgemental teenagers who looked for every opportunity to say I was evil. They weren't going to accuse me of emotionally manipulating Kaldur because they both know this is something that hasn't changed.

One of my earliest memories involved Kaldur and I hugging, something that repeated a lot through the years. I wasn't ashamed of it and neither was Kaldur. Why would we? We were raised together, and we're best friends.

Calvin exhaled. "I am sorry."

"Father, you do not-" Kaldur started only to be silenced when Calvin lifted a hand.

"Yes, I do. You are my son. I cannot help but to feel this is my fault. Kaldur'ahm, I should have realized something was wrong. I should've told our king to keep a closer eye on you, especially after what happened to Percy. I should've known it would take a toll on your mental wellbeing."

Kaldur pulled away from me and moved to float in front of Calvin. "Father, this is not your fault. Do not blame yourself."

"No. I will continue to blame myself until I know you are well. I do not wish for you to carry any burden for this, okay? Whatever I feel from this is not your fault. Do you understand?"

"But-"

"It is not your fault. I am your father, so I am going to do whatever I can in order to help you. I know your mother will do the same. So if you ever wish to talk about this, or anything else, I am willing to listen. There is-"

Kaldur hugged Calvin. "Thank you."

"You do not need to thank me. You are still a child, my son. This is the least anyone could do."

And I am a horrible person. I'll try to get the Avengers book updated but I'm going to try to get ahold of my friend and play tennis sometime

Singles tennis. A sport where you are definitely more than six feet apart.

See yah