♡ 21 - can't help but feel ♡

The next day was a free day. No shows or rehearsal or anything.

"Morning!" Patton chirped.

"Hi," Declan replied and sipped his coffee with a dead look in his face.

"You okay there, buddy?"

"Yeah."

"How much did you sleep?"

Declan didn't respond, just continued sipping the bitter drink.

Patton set his spatula down. "You didn't sleep at all, did you?"

The taller man nodded.

Sighing, the bubbly one set a plate of bacon and eggs in front of Declan.

"You don't have to," Declan muttered.

Patton smiled fondly. "I want to. And, if you want to talk, I'm always here for you."

He stayed quiet and, quite slowly, ate what Patton made for him.

"You wanna do something today?" Patton asked.

Declan shrugged. "Don't you have a job to get to?"

"I quit. Not every job is as glamorous as being an actor on Broadway." He chuckled. "Anyway, my boss is a homophobe. And I don't want to work there anymore. For now, I'm looking for another job."

"Oh."

"So, what do you want to do?"

Declan had a lot of ideas. But, they all involved then one boy who he could never face again.

Virgil was having a grand time, if grand means crying and eating ice cream at Roman's house while Roman tries to calm him down.

"He didn't even reply... Didn't say 'Okay' or anything!"

Roman brought a box of tissues to set next to the teenager.

Hurts.

He failed everyone.

Failed his brother. Failed his parents. Failed Virgil.

I hurt him.

I hurt everyone.

He grabbed his phone and recorded a voicemail of his own.

"Virgil." His voice already cracked. "Virgil. I know I didn't respond, but, I'm here. I can already feel you worrying about my lack of response. So, I'm here, and I'm okay. Bye."

He barely opened his mouth as he spoke.

End. Send.

"I don't think he's actually okay, though. I think he's just saying that," Virgil told Roman with deepening concern.

Roman took Virgil's phone and carefully lay it face down on the table. "Get some rest. I'll get us takeout."

"Sh-"

"-rimp dumplings, rice, and beef with broccoli."

"A-"

"-nd sweet and sour fish. I got this!"

Virgil cracked a smile. "Thanks." He curled up in the soft, silky red blanket that Roman had lent him.

"And I have Sprite and chocolate mousse in the fridge for afterward."

"You're the best."

Lonely.

Declan was lonely again.