♡ 59 - k ♡

In the dressing room, Virgil and Roman didn't speak or dare make eye contact. When Roman went to the bathroom, Virgil looked over at Roman's vanity and noticed many pictures had been taken down.

Specifically the pictures of the two together.

His heart sank.

He finished putting on his wig for the opening number, grabbed his blazer, and left to hang out in the wings. It was probably too early to, since both actors always arrived way earlier than necessary, but Virgil didn't want to stay.

Intermission finally came and he ran up to his dressing room to change.

He then sat in front of the mirror and stared into it sadly. "Ro?" he said, almost too quiet to hear.

"Mhm?" Roman sat down too.

They looked at each other, accidentally made eye contact, and quickly looked away. Virgil pretended to check a text on his phone.

Roman sighed. "I love you."

Virgil gulped and slowly stood up. He wasn't comfortable sitting still. Roman did the same. The shorter one held the front of Roman's sweater as their faces inched closer. When their noses were basically touching, they hesitated before Roman closed the gap between them. His hands gripped a bit tighter on his hips and Virgil ran his fingers through his ex's hair as the kiss deepened and Virgil was pressed against the wall space next to their mirrors.

Finally, the door slammed open, and there stood Scott. "Get the fuck on stage! Thirty seconds!"

Roman pulled away from Virgil quickly. "Scott! You're twelve!"

"Roman! You're opening act two!" he mocked. The young actor began running and Roman and Virgil went after him.

After the show, Roman changed into his normal attire faster than usual and made a sprint towards the door, but was stopped by Virgil's hand on his arm.

"What?" Roman asked, out of breath.

"We can't pretend what happened didn't happen!"

"Nothing happened!"

"This used to be the other way around! What happened to you?"

"I don't want to get hurt again!" he snapped and pulled Virgil's hand off. "I don't want to let myself get hurt because I can't handle something! I tried not to let this happen, but I'm a fucking mess, Virgil!" He grabbed Virgil's face and kissed him, rough and needy, and Virgil gasped before kissing back.

"If you don't want to be with me," Virgil said gently with a soft exhale, "that's fine. I wouldn't do that to you. Maybe you should get someone to talk to. Just a suggestion, but I dunno. Maybe?"

Roman shook his head immediately. "I'm supposed to be better than that."

"You're not supposed to be anything. I could help you figure something out. Ro, I just want to make sure you're okay."

The taller one rested their cold foreheads against each other. Virgil asked, "Want a ride home? I didn't see your car in your usual spot, so I don't know if you drove here or not."

"I walked because my car's being fixed," Roman said. "So... sure."

"Oh... Right." Virgil held out his hand but hurriedly put it down, knowing it was weird. "Let's go then."

*tw: implication of suicidal thoughts*