♡ 34 - from one man to another ♡

Fuck. Fuck. What the FUCK, Roman?

The next day, he was waiting for Virgil to arrive, and his heart was racing.

Why would you SAY that to someone MOURNING HIS BOYFRIEND, you flake?

Then, the doorbell.

As soon as Roman opened it, Virgil began talking in a panicked, awkward tone.

"Okay, so, I don't want to bring this up later because I don't know any conversation topic that can lead to this and I just want to get it over with, but last night, what did you mean by you really like me? Because the way you said it was like, like like, but I don't really know because I'm a dumbass and I can't trust my own thoughts."

Roman blinked a few times. "Oh."

"So...?"

"Do you want me to answer?"

"Yeah, dude, or else I wouldn't have asked you a question."

He smirked. "There's the sass machine I know and love."

Virgil rolled his eyes, but cracked a tiny smile. "Seriously! I asked you a question and if I don't have the answer, I might just fucking die!"

"Sit down." Roman led them to the couch and he sat, knees gently brushing Virgil's.

Virgil looked at him expectantly.

"Well, Virge, what do you want the answer to be?" Roman turned his charm on his friend, who looked to the side, baffled and biting his lip.

Putting his finger under Virgil's chin, Roman guided him to look into his eyes.

"I- I don't know." Because he really didn't. He couldn't rush into another relationship. He couldn't try again. He couldn't feel that same stab to the heart while it was already broken.

Roman put his hand on top of Virgil's slightly smaller one, their skin tones contrasting; Roman was sunkissed while Virgil could probably blend into the white walls.

Roman leaned down and put his free hand on his friend's shoulder. He lowered his voice. "You don't have to tell me. I'm sorry. You're going through a lot, and I wouldn't want to make a move on you while you're obviously hurting."

Then, Virgil saw two choices. One was to bury his face in Roman's neck and embrace him, and the second was to swoop up and kiss him.

He did the first one.

"Thank you," Virgil mumbled, crying softly. His arms were limp around Roman's neck.

He was pathetic. He couldn't protect himself from Declan because he was so naïve, and when Declan was gone, he fell into Roman and Patton's arms.

Patton was right. He was hurting worse. So why could he deal with it, and Virgil couldn't?

Almost every time Virgil was with Roman, he was an emotional wreck and Roman was helping him.

He couldn't imagine what it was like for Roman. He probably had problems of his own that Virgil didn't know about, and had to hide them away and fix them himself so he could always be there to pick Virgil up from off the ground.

Virgil instantly felt guilty. That was exactly how Patton felt—like he had to keep everything locked away.

He felt dizzy. His mind went numb and he knew Roman was saying something, but he couldn't hear.

Suddenly, three words snapped him out of his thoughts. And he could hear them crystal clear.