3. Maps and Plans

"But you cannot leave me hanging there; I must know more." Matthew pointed to the jug. "Pour us more claret, Aldrick, and tell me how you progressed from being strangers to betrothed." 

Elizabeth shrugged. "Nature took care of that. We simply grew together as we investigated differences and explored possibilities."  

Aldrick chuckled as he rose to pour the wine. "In that manner as well. But I think she means we examined similarities and differences between land surveying and navigation, seeking instrument makers and purveyors, and determining which were most suitable. But, yes, all the while we were immersed in the delight of each other's company." 

"When Father came to town three weeks later, I presented Aldrick to him." She laughed. "Within a few minutes, Aldi requested permission to marry me, surprising us all." 

Matthew guffawed as he slapped his knee in delight. "He has always been a spontaneous lad. And how did your father take this surprise?" 

"He is familiar with your family and its fine standing, and he respected my choice." 

"Elizabeth is unaware of this..." Aldrick paused and turned to her, his brow furrowing. "Your father took me aside later and cautioned me. His butler had written to inform him of your extended absences from the house, and he did not want his family reputation besmirched." 

She grimaced. "This is why his arrival was unannounced. He knows —" 

"He does. After a prolonged discussion, we agreed on your having a chaperon, and I was forbidden to see you until he had engaged one."

"So your absence was not because I was laid up with those."

"They would not prevent my calling. It was other circumstance."

Elizabeth tilted her head. "And what had you done these past few days?"

"I travelled to Greenwich to visit with Mister Halley, the Astronomer Royal, and he allowed me to copy the lunar and stellar tables they had thus far calculated. He also offered directions to the Board of Plantations and Trade so I might acquire a copy of Henry Popple's new map and —" 

Matthew interrupted. "Yes, there are always new maps, but most seem to be little more than tossing pebbles onto a page and drawing a quill around them. None capture the reality of the places we have seen."

Aldrick motioned to the butler, saying as he approached, "Bring in my satchel and papers, John." Then he turned to his grandfather. "I have copies of the maps you used in 1679, and also most every map which has been produced over the past half-century showing the Bahamas." 

The butler arrived and set the satchel and roll at Aldrick's feet. Then he pointed to the near-empty jug of claret. "Shall I replenish this, My Lord?" 

"Possibly later, John. We need to be serious for the nonce."

Aldrick folded two maps and laid one atop the other

Aldrick folded two maps and laid one atop the other. "Look at these, Grandpa. Drawn thirty years apart by different makers, the second mostly a copy of the first, but neither reflecting the reality we have seen. Piracy was not only at sea; it was also in the purveyance of fraudulent information. The second was your reference on most of your searches." 

After handing the pair to his grandfather, Aldrick took another map from his satchel and folded it. "I have a French map here drawn two years ago which still shows the open sea south of Long Island, all the way to Cuba." He placed it atop the two other maps in his grandfather's lap.

" He placed it atop the two other maps in his grandfather's lap

"But these, two..." He folded another pair and placed it atop the others.

"These were published in 1726 and this year, and while they still show a dramatic variation in the landforms, they are closer to what we have observed

"These were published in 1726 and this year, and while they still show a dramatic variation in the landforms, they are closer to what we have observed. The shapes of Crooked Island and Long Island are similar to our plots, and the configuration of Bahama Bank or Bahama Shoald on the latest one is rather like we have found."

Matthew nodded as he flipped from one map to another. "Our missing islands are being more consistently drawn." 

"Except by the French. They still show the open sea all the way to the Cuban coast. But both Popple and Moll show the line of islets and reefs at the edge of the Bahama Bank." Aldrick tapped his finger on Popple's map. "He has shown here what we have seen."

"But to approach the islets? That has been our challenge with their lee shore from the steady easterly winds. And they are all so low, many not rising as much as five feet above water and not visible until near." 

"I have thought to search during the autumn, after the summer storms. The winds are reported to be more moderate, and the sun will be above the southern tropic, giving us a lower angle to be readily used for our latitude calculations. Also, the days will not be so hot.

"Yes, the sun directly overhead precluded its being used in finding our latitude, and our sights on the pole star have proven to be as crude as our makeshift instruments." Matthew looked up at his grandson. "But a passage back across the Atlantic in the winter would not be pleasant."

"The Bahamas are now a Crown Colony, part of Britain's move to rid the region of piracy. Reports show the town of Nassau to be both prosperous and civilised, so there is no need to return so quickly."

"No need?" Elizabeth huffed as she stood from examining the maps and jerked Aldrick around to face her. "What do you mean, no need?"

"I had thought you would accompany me. I would not go without you."

She lowered her shoulders and breathed a loud sigh as she wrapped her arms around him, burying her face in his chest. "Then why have you not asked me?"

"This is my first opportunity since the idea arose. I dared not ask in the presence of your father or your chaperon." He lifted her head and gazed down into her eyes. "Will you come to sea with me, Beth?"