60. Truthful Deceit

Amid the flurry of activity aboard Elizabeth as she was prepared to get underway, Aldrick watched Doc Haines and his assistants render aid to the writhing man in the blanket while Peters explained the nature of the injuries.

Appearing satisfied, Peters rose from his knees, headed across the deck to the ladder and climbed to the quarterdeck, saying as he neared, "They are in better hands now. There is nothing else I can do."

"Doc has worked miracles in the past. We shall leave him to do it again. Let us move out of the way." Aldrick turned to the Officer of the Watch and pointed aft. "Mister Charles, I shall be in the port turn of the taffrail."

"Aye, Sir. I shall tell Mister Wilson when he relieves me; it approaches eight bells."

While Aldrick led the two men aft, Peters said, "Thank you for stopping, Sir."

"Any mariner worthy of the name would do so." He nodded toward the wallowing hull. "Tell me how this evolved that I may avoid it happening."

Peters grimaced, then he spoke, "As sunset approached, we had watched a line of tall clouds approaching. The type from which squalls come. There was no way of avoiding them, and when the sudden cooling and the smell of dust arrived, I ordered the main and foresail struck. As the crew released the main gaff halyard, it jammed in the sheave atop the mast, and I sent three hands aloft to clear it."

Peters paused, shaking his head. "When they could not work it free, Andrews countermanded my order to cut it away, and he sent more aloft to help clear the jam. The twisting wind of the squall caused a hard gybe, and the sudden force on the shrouds ripped the chainplates from the hull. The mainmast failed, and it took the foremast with it as it toppled." He grimaced. "And the lives of thirteen hands."

Andrews shrugged. "How was we sposed to know the plates was set in dry rot?"

"By closely examining what I told you to. By doing a proper survey. By not being in such a rush. By following my orders. By using your head for something other than as a support for a cap."

Andrews swung a fist at Peters, and Aldrick blocked it, grasping the wrist. "Cease and desist, Andrews. Such behaviour is not allowed aboard this ship." Tightening his twist on the wrist, he called forward, "Mister Charles, send me some stout hands to restrain this man."

After three men arrived and took Andrews away with instructions, Aldrick asked Peters, "Besides him, any others need to be restrained?"

"Now only Benson and Smythe remain." He shook his head. "The other renegades all perished as they followed Andrews' orders."

Aldrick motioned forward and began walking. "Accompany me to the fore rail, and you can call them from there."

When the summoned men stepped forward and looked up, Aldrick pointed at them as he called down, "Langley, Brock, Wall, restrain these two. Take them to the Coxswain. Tell him I order the same treatment as for Andrews."

While the two men were being led away, Aldrick turned to Peters. "The lads had said there were four others abandoned on the island."

"Yes, Roberts and the three cooks."

"Can you guide us there so we can rescue them?"

"The anchorage is tricky and tedious to approach through the shoals from the west. But if the weather remains fair, you can stand off the east side of the islet and send a longboat to fetch them; there is a shallow passage through the rocks to the north. I have a sketch of the place with the exact latitude marked." He patted his pockets, appearing to confirm what he wanted was there.