43. Of Baring All

Judith lifted a hand to her mouth when Elizabeth and Aldrick stood stark-naked from the water and turned to reply to her greeting. She paused, appearing to be considering the situation, then after a glance at George, she shrugged. "Paradise as with Adam and Eve. Would you be offended if we also were to remove our clothing, m'La... Elizabeth?" 

"No, not in the least, Judith. Contrarily, I would be a little offended if you did not. Please, do join us. It is so liberating this way." 

Aldrick bent down to close and tie the top of the burlap sack. "We have found a dozen large lobsters. Far more than enough for the four of us. It is best that we keep them in the water that they remain alive and fresh until dinnertime." While they waded ashore, he asked, "Have you heard about the marooned French, Mister Wilson?" 

"From Hudson, Sir. When he came aboard to relieve me, he told me what you had said to Mister Charles and Brady." He finished removing his breeches, then he pointed to the longboat heading northward. "I have ordered a crew to take Doc Haines and his lads up the coast to watch for the returning party. Save them the long walk back." 

"Excellent! Great enterprise, Mister Wilson."

"Thank you, Sir." 

Elizabeth turned to Judith. "This will leave us free to relax here in our careless state without fear of being interrupted, and it will allow me the opportunity to fulfill my promise to teach you to swim." 

While Aldrick and George scooped a basin in the sand of the shallows to keep the lobsters wet, Elizabeth and Judith waded out to waist-deep water. "It is best to begin by learning how your body floats naturally on the surface."

Judith nodded. "For the confidence."

"Exactly! You need to see you will not sink. Turn around and squat until your chin is wet. I will support your head and shoulders as you lift your feet and stretch out, allowing your body to rise to the surface."

In this manner, Elizabeth tutored Judith, and within a few minutes, they swam side-by-side on their backs as Elizabeth demonstrated kick styles and arm strokes.

When Judith had gained confidence, she placed both hands on her belly and beamed a smile. "I think George and I have begun a child."

Elizabeth squealed in delight. "Oh! I am so pleased for you. We have just started trying."

Judith looked askance. "Surely, you have..." She paused and blushed. "You must have... You know, ah —"

"Fucked?" Elizabeth giggled. "Yes, of course, we have. But Aldrick has always withdrawn before squirting his seed. It is only in the past few days that we have decided to begin a family." She reached across and placed her hand on Judith's belly. "What does George think of this?"

"I have not yet told him; I am just now realising it myself. My blood had not come when I expected, and it is now two days. I had thought it was because of my seasickness, but with the ship stable and the calmness here, I have just now begun thinking my nausea is not from the motion, but from my condition." She cupped her breasts. "And these become increasingly tender, much as I remember they had the previous times."

"Previous times? I was not aware you have children. Where are they?"

Judith sighed. "Two miscarriages."

"Oh, I am so sorry."

"It is for the better. We would not have been able to afford them anything but squalor. John was pilfering coal from the pits at night, and I was a charwoman, roaming door to door for work as we both struggled to keep food on the table. We were so young and blinded by love."